Engine My ferris mower will not stay running.

FLYONWALL9

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had this EXACT issue with my is1500

Did you check the fuses? I went through the very same checks you did and one by
one I ruled them out. Dumb me didn't check the fuses first. BINGO found a blown
fused, put in a new one and runs like a champ.:confused2:

I cant remember what the fuse was, the wriiting on mine has been washed off.
But what you discribe is 100% what mine was doing. It would crank, run for just
a few seconds and then just shut off/die off/turn off, whatever you want to call it.

Cheers,
Scott

scarcelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did check the fuses. But I will change them just in case. I did rebuild the carb. just put it back in last nite and it ran a littel longer than before but still shut down after a ninute or two. Be fore all this happened the motor I think was running rich. there was a blue flame coming from the mufler. I do still think this is a fule problem. I will down load the Engine manual when I get a chace and look further in to this.

FLYONWALL9

Forum Newbie
Threads
AHHHH BLUE FLAME:eek:. Yeah I must have missed that earlier. I would also think
its rich if that happened. Would it also run with no air filter on it? I don't think
your issue is with a fuse if you have the blue flame issue. I was just thinking that if
it would crank then die like mine was a good shot would be the fuse. I ALMOST took
off my carb to see if something was in the passages or perhaps something causing
the float to stay open causing it to flood. Lucky I checked all the fuses before taking
the engine down.

Are you able to check your float height? Sorry for asking this but I don't recall seeing
it in your other messages but did the mower sit for any length of time without a fuel
stabilizer? If so, I would really give the entire fuel system a serious dooshing out. I had
a VTWIN motorcycle that had similar issues as you and that cause was very hard to
find, it was varnish in the passages in the carb. I had to soak it overnight in acetone
to unclog that issue. Then I used very high pressure air to blow out those passages.
You can also buy a carb cleaner that is a foam (is this what you used?) If not its
worth a shot. This stuff will go in those little cracks and so forth and the bubbles
help loosen up the gunk. Even better if you can get your hands on a high pressure
steam cleaner. I got really good at carb cleaning when I started restoring rare
motorcycles where parts were hard to find.

I rather like puzzles like this, so I would be very interested in what fixes it so I can
also learn from your experience. If we were closer I would very much like to come
tinker with it along side you.

Best of luck from a new guy,
Cheers,
Scott

slammed

Threads
This is a interesting issue. I can't wait to see what is wrong with it.

gregjo1948

Threads
Does your model Ferris have a fuel solenoid? It may be faulty. gregjo1948

scarcelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the help. Especialy the Kohler Manual. The problem was as simple as soaking the carborator. It runs great now. I did buy it used and was afraid I made a poor choice. I do not have as much time as I would like to work on all my toys I need to keep my farm looking good. This place never looked so good since I purchased that mower. Thanks again for the help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to see it's fixed. Now you can have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

scarcelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a interesting issue. I can't wait to see what is wrong with it.

sorry I took so long getting back to you believe it or not I had a stroke and as you can imagin I had bigger problems than cutting my lawn. I am feeling better and of course Im rite back to cutting grass. there is one issue that just happened I was using the ferris mower and the blades stopped spinning and 30 seconts later the engine shut of. any help would be nice. sorry for the spelling my brain is not in the best shape but working on things like this will in the long run help me get better fast. alos it was not the position of the seat or the switch. Im leaning tward a short in the clutch switch. if I push the switch off befor the engine dies it stays running. hope this makes sence good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your battery, sounds like it does not have enough voltage to keep both the engine running and the PTO engaged.