steering and hydraulic problems 2008 Legacy XL

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.mowersatjacks.com/Images/simplicity/simplicity-manuals/1694643-manual.pdf

read page 29 carefully, no do not change oil & filter again. use jackstands to get tractor off ground, sit in seat & start engine, operate steering etc. all controls, start at idle & work up to full throttle, be patient & perform this procedure several times, yes you may need a helper to bleed air from system by cracking lines with wrench then tighten back up. let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

snicarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Mechanic Mark... are you suggesting that I change oil and filter? Service was done at 715 hrs ... currently at 759 hrs... could some dirt or debris be clogging ?

Could there be air in the system? Not sure how to bleed if that is the case....

Thanks again!

Steve

snicarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: steering and hydraulic problems 2008 Legacy XL - Resolved

I wanted to hopefully close this thread with an update.

The sudden hydraulic pressure and P/S loss occurring in Simplicity Legacy XL’s has been documented and researched for years. I had the same symptoms and to make a VERY long story short, the issue was resolved. As has been posted previously by swapping out the Power Steering unit (1725288SM) located near the steering column.

Simplicity Customer Service was unsympathetic and not much help. Their Tech Support was aware of this issue and provided good info to my repairman.

Lesson learned, don’t bother with most repair shops. The problem I ran into was a backlog of snowblower repairs and service in prep for winter. I got the runaround from some and ones that tried to help were out of their element. I spoke to a farmer neighbor of mine and was referred to a local tractor dealership (run out of a working farm). They were Massey Ferguson dealers and immediately recognized the Simplicity line was an associated unit. It was here where my Legacy was FINALLY repaired and I got it back this afternoon...

This has been a frustrating and long journey to resolution.

THANKS TO ALL who made suggestions and offered advice... hope this helps when the next unit fails...as I expect it will....

Steve