steering and hydraulic problems 2008 Legacy XL

simp2008

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently on my 2008 Legacy 4WD, the pwer steering is not working and the mower lift and 3pt is very slow with no attachment on it. I changed the hydraulic filter and oil, but still did not make a difference. Any one with past experience or same issues?

Mower manic

Threads
Recently on my 2008 Legacy 4WD, the pwer steering is not working and the mower lift and 3pt is very slow with no attachment on it. I changed the hydraulic filter and oil, but still did not make a difference. Any one with past experience or same issues?

How many hours are on it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Had the same problem last week. Found two possible causes. First it was low on hydro fluid. Sounds like you did this. Second, the tensioner arm for the transmission belt (it has two pulleys attached to it) was worn and dropped down, not allowing the belt to travel fully tight. Once I solved these two items the steering and lift worked properly. The hydro drive powers both the steering and lift. Check valve is located in the power steering controller. If the two solutions don't work I would look at that controller, but I have to warn you, it costs $800 plus labor to replace. Forgot, you should clean and check all lines for leaks first.

Last edited:

simp2008

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had the same problem last week. Found two possible causes. First it was low on hydro fluid. Sounds like you did this. Second, the tensioner arm for the transmission belt (it has two pulleys attached to it) was worn and dropped down, not allowing the belt to travel fully tight. Once I solved these two items the steering and lift worked properly. The hydro drive powers both the steering and lift. Check valve is located in the power steering controller. If the two solutions don't work I would look at that controller, but I have to warn you, it costs $800 plus labor to replace. Forgot, you should clean and check all lines for leaks first.

I didn't see any belts or pulleys. Mine is all shaft driven I believe. Am I missing these somewhere?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model numbers for your unit. Starts with 169. Unit I had, had a belt driven hydro.

simp2008

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please post the model numbers for your unit. Starts with 169. Unit I had, had a belt driven hydro.

My model # is 2690289. I have see where a lot of guys have had to replace the power steering unit. Also seen where some of the recent legacy's have additonal modules with check valves in them instead of in the power steering.

markjsni

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was just wondering if you ever fixed the problem and what was it. Because mine did the exact same thing.

snicarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone posted a solution to this?

My Legacy XL 2690352 ()759 hrs, recently serviced at 715 hrs by seller)

...Suddenly lost Power Steering and Hydraulic control (Front End Loader will not raise, However bucket will 'dump' and return very slowly).
(Suddenly meaning... I drove tractor into barn, set parking brake, got off to attach chain, got back on.. NO PS NO FEL)

Shaft driven, no fluid leaks.. no whining noises, tractor drives fwd and reverse (w/o steering).

Any ideas or recommendations appreciated..... Steve