2 Cycle Gas in 4 Cycle Engine

MrLee1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just had a nearly brand new (under 3 hours) push mower stopped running. I believe the reason is my wife put 2 cycle gas in it, but it is a 4 stroke engine.

It only ran for about 20 minutes, and sputtered out, and then started again and rain for less than a minute and totally stopped. The pull cord won't pull at all. I took the plug out, but still no luck.

What can I do from here? Am I totally screwed?
Any advice is appreciated.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think it's really bad. Two-cycle gas in a four-stroke isn't a huge no-no (the reverse definitely is :eek: ).

Do you know how the two-cycle gas was mixed? (50:1 ... etc.) If the mixture is in that range, I can't see how there could be significant damage to the engine -- probably just a little clogging. I can't see how this could cause the engine to lock up.

Did you get all the two-cycle gas out and put in some straight gas?

Parkmower

Threads
If anything the mixed gas would lubricate the piston/cylinder not seize it. Better check the oil in the crankcase.

tuffnell

Threads
She put the gas in but did she check the oil level before running the mower?:confused2:

possum

Threads
Going to have to find out if your engine is locked up, your starter is locked up, your deck blade is hung up under the deck because of clogging, etc. And of course if there is any oil in the lawn mower engine. Then you can worry about the two stroke fuel in the tank. As it is now it could be almost anything.