HRX217VKA or HRX217HYA Thoughts

PGMike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to but a new mower. Can anyone advise if the transmissions in these units are the same - just with different linkages? If not the same, is one better than the other in terms of reliability and durability? Is there an iron sleeve in the GVC190? Any issues with the autochoke on the VKA versus a conventional choke on the HYA? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Only other mower in the discussion might be a Snapper with an 875 series Briggs....

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking to but a new mower. Can anyone advise if the transmissions in these units are the same - just with different linkages? If not the same, is one better than the other in terms of reliability and durability? Is there an iron sleeve in the GVC190? Any issues with the autochoke on the VKA versus a conventional choke on the HYA? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Only other mower in the discussion might be a Snapper with an 875 series Briggs....

Hi Mike:

The VKA has a slipping-belt style variable speed gearbox called SmartDRIVE. It has a single adjustable-position control on the handlebar. The HYA has a hydrostatic variable speed drive called Cruise Control. It has two levers, an orange one that sets the maximum speed, and a wide black one that controls the speed from 0 to the maximum set point. Both are fine, but most will tell you the Cruise Control is more refined. Opinions vary a great deal, but you should try and test drive both at a dealer and decide for yourself which is best. Be sure to bring along anyone else who might run the mower on a regular basis.

Also, the VKA is a standard flywheel brake design. You must hold on to the blade control lever to start and run the engine and blades. Let go, and both the engine and blades stop. The HYA has Roto-Stop, a clutch device between the engine and blades. After the engine has been started, you engage the blades to mow, then when you let go, the blades (only) stop. The engine continues to run. Roto-Stop also adds a bit to the cost of the mower.

Both the HYA and VKA have the same warranty. The GCV190 engine is the same on both models. It is a premium residential engine and been in production for over 20 years. It is all aluminum and does not have a cast-iron sleeve, which is usually only found on commercial mowers. The engine is cast and assembled along with the mower at the Honda plant in Swepsonville, NC (Honda mowers and loose engines have been made there since the mid 1980s).

The Autochoke works fine and is one less cable/adjustment item vs. a manual choke. That said, you need to understand how the Autochoke works when starting and stopping the mower. When starting a cold engine, be sure to let it fully warm up if you expect to need to restart it again soon. The Autochoke won't respond properly if the engine is not completely cold or not fully warmed up.

Resources:

HRX Model page

Find a Honda Dealer

Threads
Go with the HRX217HYA. The drive system is better (in my opinion......I don't think I would like the Smart Drive). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!!!!! Definitely worth the extra $$$$$ ! Both of the Hondas you are looking at have the NeXite deck, which is awesome! Very durable and you don't even have to clean it!!

New_World

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go with the HRX217HYA. The drive system is better (in my opinion......I don't think I would like the Smart Drive). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!!!!! Definitely worth the extra $$$$$ ! Both of the Hondas you are looking at have the NeXite deck, which is awesome! Very durable and you don't even have to clean it!!

i know this thread is old but help me make the decision.

bought the HRX217HYA

Snapperfreak

Threads
I agree, great choice. I'm a broken record here but that's the only mower I'd buy if I were to buy a brand new mower today.

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
I was trying to get a used HRX217HYA in very good condition today for $200 but someone beat me to it :thumbdown:

It's one of the few newer mowers I keep an eye out for on the used market.

I'd say you did good

Threads
I was trying to get a used HRX217HYA in very good condition today for $200 but someone beat me to it :thumbdown:

It's one of the few newer mowers I keep an eye out for on the used market.

I'd say you did good

I'm sure any Honda in decent condition will go quick!

charley95

Threads
I bought the VKA last spring and love it. I'm probably the only one here who prefers the VKA over the HYA. I like having less mechanicals to deal with come service time. The main reason I prefer mine is that I can vary my speed with my thumbs around obsticals. My neighbor bought the HYA at the same time and prefers his model over mine. Just my opinion.

jp1961

Threads
I find it hard to believe the Honda engine doesn't have a cast iron cylinder sleeve. Just an aluminum piston running in an aluminum bore? Didn't Chevy try that with the Vega. Did the older Honda engines have a cast iron sleeve?