WHAT DO YOU DO WITH LEAVES IN THE FALL?

What do you do with leaves in the fall?

• Total voters
Threads
I mulch them, sweep them up with the lawn sweeper, and dump them in the burn pile.

Does the lawn sweeper get all of the leaves up (as much as bagging them?) because some people on here say it doesn't work as well.

fastback

Threads
I have a large leaf compost pile. It has between 40 or 50 cu. yd. piled. Each year I pick up all of my leaves with my vac. It's one you pull behind your tractor. I empty the loads next to the pile and then I use my MF with loader to pile them as high as I can. From time to time I rework the pile bring the inside out and the outside in. The pile is elongated so I pile at one end and used the broken down stuff at the other end for planting etc. I have been using this pile system for 26 years. I always have plenty of compost.

DaveTN

Threads
I had a cousin who used to take DRY leaves and cram them up under his trailer in the fall and that acted like insulation and kept the pipes from freezing! They would remove some of the skirts on the trailer to get the leaves in, then replace the metal panels. Then in the Spring he'd rake them out and mulch them on the lawn. Sounds Eco Friendly to me.

Threads
I had a cousin who used to take DRY leaves and cram them up under his trailer in the fall and that acted like insulation and kept the pipes from freezing! They would remove some of the skirts on the trailer to get the leaves in, then replace the metal panels. Then in the Spring he'd rake them out and mulch them on the lawn. Sounds Eco Friendly to me.

WOW...I have never heard of that. It might be a fire hazard, though!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
DaveTN said:

Never thought of doing this I bet it works good.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

DaveTN

Threads
Never thought of doing this I bet it works good.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

With a mobile home it's easy to get pipes frozen in winter. Insulation under the floor only does so much but the leaves pushed up in and around the pipes did a great job keeping a huge air space insulation and cold winter winds from blowing through. PLUS the mobile home stayed a lot warmer too, especially the floor! I don't think there's any more fire danger in the leaves being in there as not being in there really. Field mice might consider it a good winter home, but they'd come in anyway! I've told lots of other people about what he did with the leaves. In fact on the farm we used to take leaves and old dry hay and stuff it in the cinder block well house to keep the tank and pipes from freezing, even after we put wrap on the pipes! I guess that's where he got the idea to try it under his mobile home.

jakewells

Threads
i let the wind blow them and i mulch them into the grass

valveguy

Threads
Compost pile. We have mild winters here. I live 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and, normally, our winter weather is not severe enough to slow down the composting process.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I just leave them where they are... Because I'm lazy :rolleyes: