Tires Tires tearing up grass

tlavergne

Threads
First time poster. I have a Grasshopper model 124...it's a little one. My lawn is about a 1/2 acre and is flat. I have had this mower for about 5 years and love it. The problem I have, and I assume this is true with all zero turn mowers, is that the tires spin in sharp turns or stopping and starting and it tears up my grass. I have tried to make wider turns, to be careful not to take off too fast or stop to quickly, but it doesn't seem to help much. Would putting on bar (tractor type) tires instead of turf tires help or would that just tear the grass up even more?
I was very happy to find this forum. Love my grasshopper and really like how logical it is put together and the quality of workmanship.
Thanks for all comments.
Tom (In Ohio)

Threads
First time poster. I have a Grasshopper model 124...it's a little one. My lawn is about a 1/2 acre and is flat. I have had this mower for about 5 years and love it. The problem I have, and I assume this is true with all zero turn mowers, is that the tires spin in sharp turns or stopping and starting and it tears up my grass. I have tried to make wider turns, to be careful not to take off too fast or stop to quickly, but it doesn't seem to help much. Would putting on bar (tractor type) tires instead of turf tires help or would that just tear the grass up even more?
I was very happy to find this forum. Love my grasshopper and really like how logical it is put together and the quality of workmanship.
Thanks for all comments.
Tom (In Ohio)

Welcome to LawnMowerForum, Tom!
I would think that would tear up the grass even more, but I am not positive. I would just suggest doing T or Y turns (where you do a 2 point turn to turn around).

tlavergne

Threads
I do that now vs just spinning around a tree or when turning around. This mower has so much torque in the drive wheels that it is very hard to go in any direction from a stop without spinning the wheels. I would think, unless the ground is very dry, I would leave tire marks with bar tires, but I am at a loss on how to stop tearing up the grass. Maybe I just really need to concentrate on a very soft touch on the levers.

Threads
I do that now vs just spinning around a tree or when turning around. This mower has so much torque in the drive wheels that it is very hard to go in any direction from a stop without spinning the wheels. I would think, unless the ground is very dry, I would leave tire marks with bar tires, but I am at a loss on how to stop tearing up the grass. Maybe I just really need to concentrate on a very soft touch on the levers.

Yeah maybe that would do it, that is one of the downsides to ZTR's, you have to be careful when turning. You would think someone would come up with a fix or something, because a lot of people have that problem! Other than that, I love ZTR's!

txzrider

Threads
1 word finesse. It takes a gentle touch during turns. Just remember, if either wheel is turning and the other rear wheel is not... you are tearing the grass. I can mow mine after a rain and it will not tear the grass. But I have learned restraint. I do not turn at speed.

tlavergne

Threads
I think that's it exactly. I need to be more patient and pay more attention when turning and moving either direction from a dead stop.

lostinbaja

Threads
If you are making a tight turn, instead of pivoting on the inside tire try reversing the inside tire so it remains rolling. It works for me.:wink:

thehemikid

Threads
...yeah..keeping the zero point of a zero turn "between" the 2 drive tires is the key. It may be easier on a front deck with the zero point being right below your butt :smile:.

After a long straight I do a ~ 45* turn, stop, then a 90* zero spin, stop, then I make the ~ 45* turn unto the next straight. Find whatever works for you start off slow on your turn-arounds, you can add the speed as you get better at it.

Attachments

• 3 wa.png
    3 wa.png
    12 KB · Views: 22