YOU CAN'T TELL ME THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

Threads
I was just looking at different mowers, and I came across these mowers, each having a 33 in. cut. They look exactly the same! Are they all made by the same company or something?? They are the Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, and Craftsman. (Pictures attached.)
cub cadet walk-behind.png

Troybilt walk-behind.jpg

craftsman walk-behind.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

possum

Threads
Great deal of difference. One mower has lot of red handles. One mower does not have red wires. And they all have a different sticker on them. Not to mention the paint. Just kidding. They all come from the same place. Snow blowers, weed whackers, lawn tractors, push mowers, all do pretty much the same deal. The most obvious was one time in Sears a clerk told me a mini tiller was made by Craftsman and the unit had a Yard Machine sticker in big and bold right on it.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was just looking at different mowers, and I came across these mowers, each having a 33 in. cut. They look exactly the same! Are they all made by the same company or something?? They are the Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, and Craftsman.

Yes they are all made by the Modern Tool & Die company or MTD

Here are MTD's brands not including some private brands they also produce for.
Bolens, Columbia, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar (joint with Yanmar), Farm King, GardenWay, Gold Series, Gutbrod, Gutbrod-Kehrer, Lawnflite, Mastercut, Mow Master, Mow Master Mastercut, MTD, MTD Black Edition, MTD Silver Edition, MTD Gold, MTD Mowmaster, MTD Platinum Pro, MTD Platinum SD, MTD Pro, MTD Super, MTD Taral, MTD Tradesman, MTD Turbomax, MTD 2000 Elite, Novotrac, Rasentrac, Remington, Ryobi (sold at Costco), Troy-Bilt, Ventzki, Ventzki MTD, White Outdoor, Yard Machines, Yard-Man, Yard-Man Elite, Yard-Man Select and YardWorks. :confused2:

savageactor7

Threads
HUH! we were looking for a newer push mower but were disappointed in the all same versions of a mower we didn't want. It's like someones trying to trick you into thinking there is a real difference between them.

I want a mower that will idle and operate at a way higher rpm when needed. Is a throttle too much to ask now a days?

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another manufacturer of multiple brands is Husqvarna.
Husqvarna is the world's largest producer of chainsaws, lawn and garden equipment--
Brands Owned by Husqvarna
AYP (American Yard Products), Bradley (as in David Bradley. Roper purch. company from Sears and began building tractors for Sears), Flymo, Gardena AG, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Komatsu Zenhoa, Lawn King , Lawn King Rally, McCulloch, McCulloch Pro, Partner, Partner Pro, Pioneer chainsaws, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Rally, Rally Plus, Rodeo, Roper, Roper Rally, Talon, Weed Eater and Yard Pro.

Private Label Brands Produced
Agrasamit, BERNARD Loisirs, Bestgreen, Bestgreen Comfort, Bestgreen Serie Or, Central Park, Columbia, Companion (for Sears), Craftsman (for Sears), Talon, Fleurelle, Gardol, Handy Power, Hurricane, Huskee (for Tractor Supply Company), Klippo, Lazer, Mr. Bricolage, Performance Power, Predator, Prestige, Prim, Royal, SARP, Sentar (for Univert), Statesman (for Southern States Cooperative), TAGA, Uniropa, Val Garden, Verts Loisirs, Westfalia, Wizard (for Western Auto) and last but not least Zenoah.

Threads
HUH! we were looking for a newer push mower but were disappointed in the all same versions of a mower we didn't want. It's like someones trying to trick you into thinking there is a real difference between them.

I want a mower that will idle and operate at a way higher rpm when needed. Is a throttle too much to ask now a days?

I would recommend a Honda HRX217HYA (best choice!!!), HRX217VKA (Smart Drive drive system), or HRX217HZA (electric start--I wouldn't get this becausee it is $100 more just for the electric start). They all have the 190cc engine....SUPER POWERFUL!! Honda Lawn Mowers - HRX Mowers
DSCN8723.jpg

savageactor7

Threads
Oh that's good to know...thank you for the recommendations.

bbrown

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro (consumer) is in that big list of brands. In fact, I have the IPB for my Toro with Toro AND MTD part numbers right in the chart!

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro (consumer) is in that big list of brands. In fact, I have the IPB for my Toro with Toro AND MTD part numbers right in the chart!
Toro is one of the private brands that was not listed that MTD produces for.
In 2007, the low-end lawn and garden tractor product manufacturing for Toro was outsourced to MTD Products, to be sold at Home Depot stores.

Last edited: