Ant Hills on my Lawn

linda4

Threads
Does anyone have a good method of getting rid of ants and ant hills ? I've started developing them all over my lawn. I've tried ant killer pesticides, but then a new ant hill springs up 20-30 feet away a week or so later.

carla6

Threads
Sometimes after you kill them (or most of them with the pesticide) you have to dig up the whole area, backfill it with a good loam, and re-seed the grass. I've had to do this in the past.

Attachments

• leaf pile 1.PNG
    leaf pile 1.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • leaf job.PNG
    leaf job.PNG
    920.3 KB · Views: 63
  • echo action.PNG
    echo action.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • after 1.PNG
    after 1.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • before 1.PNG
    before 1.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • leaf job 3.PNG
    leaf job 3.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • big job.PNG
    big job.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

grnspot110

Threads
I've had good luck pouring boiling water in the hill, kick off the top of the hill & pour it in! ~~ grnspot110

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where I live the ants that build mounds are fire ants. I don't think you have them in new york. I have used several products, but have never been able to eradicate them as they are evrywhere here. Some of the baits that we use down here, such as "amdro" may not be available in your area. These will work on fireants effectively but they can develop an amunity if used consistantly. I also like a product from spectracide that you have to water into the mound with a gallon or so. This leaves thousands of dead fire ants and that's very satisfying:biggrin:
You might want to try this.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Ant Hills on my Lawn (use a controled FIRE!)

Using an auto ignition torch...
At the main entrance hold the ignition button down enough to get the gas valve open. Propane will flow from the tank and mix with air at the nozzle... (Propane is heavier than air so the mixture will go directly into the tunnel system). Continue the fuel flow for 10 to 30 seconds, (depending on the size of the colony)...
When you press the ignition button fully it will light the torch... the resulting flame will sweep through the entire tunnel system. for several feet around the entrance the ground will bounce as the mini explosion sweeps through the colony. Everything is contained under ground but if you are doing this on dry grass be prepared to put out any small grass fire in the immediate area.
You MAY have to do this a second time on really LARGE colonies... But I have never had to do it a third time.
Works every time and leaves no chemical residue... :smile:KennyV

Hershey

Threads
I would go with the boiling water idea or with calling in a professional pest service that may use more powerful chemicals than you have purchased on your own. That's what we've done.

linda4

Threads
I think I'll start by giving the boiling water idea a try. It sounds like it might work and it seems easy enough to attempt. Thanks for the tip.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Ant Hills on my Lawn (use a controled FIRE!)

[/QUOTE]
Using an auto ignition torch...
At the main entrance hold the ignition button down enough to get the gas valve open. Propane will flow from the tank and mix with air at the nozzle... (Propane is heavier than air so the mixture will go directly into the tunnel system). Continue the fuel flow for 10 to 30 seconds, (depending on the size of the colony)...
When you press the ignition button fully it will light the torch... the resulting flame will sweep through the entire tunnel system. for several feet around the entrance the ground will bounce as the mini explosion sweeps through the colony.
:smile:KennyV

Wow killing ants with exposives:thumbsup:. That sounds like fun, a lot more fun than putting out bait and waiting.
Unfortunetly fire ant mounds don't have a hole at the top. So I don't think it will work:mad:

PeonyofIndiana

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I'll start by giving the boiling water idea a try. It sounds like it might work and it seems easy enough to attempt. Thanks for the tip.

I have had huge ant hills in my pasture... years ago I mowed it with a craftsman mower put in highest position, but was surprised to run into those ant hills. I didn't really mind them until I began seeing them in my side lawn. Then I looked at the ingredients of a well-known ant killer used indoors, and it was Borax! So I used hot water and disolved some Borax in it poured it over the ant hill and it killed them nicely! But also killed the grass. That was 2 years ago and the grass has finally begun to grow back without ants. I hope this helps.