Wants to sputter almost die when blades are on???

Ringer024

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray Select model 465306x8 that while i was mowing after about 30 to 40 min it started to sputter and almost die while the blades were on i then turned off the blades and the engine sounded strong no sputter or miss could be heard but once engaged the blades again back to the same problem...let sit for about 20 min and then ran fine for another 30 to 40 min im at a loss i checked the fuel filter that looked fine but the air filter was pretty dirty but could that cause that much problems im at a loss here and don't know what could cause it any ideas???

Ringer024

Forum Newbie
Threads
forgot its a 21hp with a 46in mowing deck

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Murray Select model 465306x8 that while i was mowing after about 30 to 40 min it started to sputter and almost die while the blades were on i then turned off the blades and the engine sounded strong no sputter or miss could be heard but once engaged the blades again back to the same problem...let sit for about 20 min and then ran fine for another 30 to 40 min im at a loss i checked the fuel filter that looked fine but the air filter was pretty dirty but could that cause that much problems im at a loss here and don't know what could cause it any ideas???

I've done it too, but the filters looking dirty or clean is a poor measure of condition.

With that in mind, and after the engine is warm, try quickly accelerating RPM from low idle to high idle. If it sputters as it increases in speed remove the air filter and repeat the test. If it still sputters we can pretty safely say the air filter is not the problem although it may need replaced anyway.

If it only sputters when the blades are engaged a safety switch intermittently grounding the spark is suspect and to check that identify the magneto kill wire on the engine and temporarily disconnect it.

If it is truly a safety switch causing the problem, and only a safety switch, the sputter will cease. To kill the engine while preforming this test, position the key switch to OFF and touch the wire connection you disconnected back to its terminal.