How to clean a B&S fuel tank??

jb4249

Threads
I have an old B&S 4 HP vert shaft engine that has been sitting a long time. The engine is a 1970 model. I am looking for a good way to clean the tank. It has sluge in the bottom, for lack of a better word. I can dip it in my carb cleaner can, 1/2 at a time. Or is there another produst I should look for. I'd like to save this engine as it was on an old and unusal rider.
Thanks, JB4249
Ted:confused2:

Attachments

• 100_6576.jpg
    100_6576.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 25

BigRed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd just pour the carb cleaner into the tank and let it sit for a while. A handful of small pebbles can also be added so you can shake it and knock any rust or hard deposits off the walls.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mineral spirits work great and are cheaper. Together with stones, nuts and bolts, or marbles work great to loosen every thing up.

DaveTN

Threads
Fish tank gravel? Hmmm...good idea. I just use driveway rocks and water. Dump out the old dirty water, and add fresh till it cleans up. I've also used baking soda and water as well with the gravels. In fact I've got a 5 HP B&S sideshaft tank I need to clean. Thanks for the reminder. Also Baking Soda works for a boiling out solution for carbs as well. I use a pot with about 2 tablespoons of Soda and Water and heat it to low boil in a pot. Works Great! None of those toxic chemicals to splash on you!Dave

Last edited:

chance123

Threads
I have never tried this, but I wonder how CLR (calcium, Lime, and Rust) would work

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you do better rinse a 100 times as any residue would really mess up an aluminum carb and those small passage ways.

chance123

Threads
If you do better rinse a 100 times as any residue would really mess up an aluminum carb and those small passage ways.

"Excellent" point and a possible save for any aluminum in the fuel path

chance123

Threads
That last post about aluminum reminded me of when ever I had an engine failure due to lack of oil and the aluminum con rod fused/transfered to the crank. I would use swimming pool acid (muratic acid) to eat the aluminum off of the crank pin and leave the crank like new. On some occasions there would be scoring if it seized at high speed.

DaveTN

Threads

After the boil out with Soda water...I put it in clear water and boil it again.
I've never had any trouble with them after the clear water hot boil. But you're right, some powdery residue could result if not rinse well. I was amazed at the gunk and dirt and varnish the Soda Water would boil out of a carburetor! The only side effect I've noticed is that some of the pot metal in the Walbro type carbs on weedeaters turns dark. Doesn't seem to affect the operation though after boiled in clean water the 2nd time and rinsed under the sink water. I blow them out with compressed air and if I have time let them dry in the hot sun.