Gas Or Electric Leaf Blower?

Green Girl

Threads
I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet, hang up my rake and invest in a leaf blower for the sake of my back. What are the pros and cons for gas versus electric models?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Electric has a cord...so not as portable..
Gas has a lot of power so it is quicker...
Electric is a little lighter (not counting the cord)
Gas model costs a bit more than electric...
Gas model makes more noise than electric...gas model is a LOT more powerful...
:smile:KennyV

grnspot110

Threads
Depends on your needs! How much are you going to use it? Electric is fine for small areas near outlets. If you're going to use it a lot &/or larger area, go with a gas model! ~~ grnspot110

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet, hang up my rake and invest in a leaf blower for the sake of my back. What are the pros and cons for gas versus electric models?

For real blowing power the gas model wins hands down, however, they are heavy enough and sometimes difficult enough to start if saving your back is the idea, go with a powerful electric.

I have used both and to me the devices are of little use in replacing a rake. I use mine mainly to blow leaves off the decks, porches, driveway, etc. For real leaf moving they are practically worthless in replacing a rake. Just my opinion, though.

Rose

Threads
I had to agree that the blowers are not that much more useful the rake. I only have an acre or so of lawn.

I suggest you see if you have one of those rentals in your area. Rent both types, give them a try, and see which works best for you. Good luck in your hunt.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had to agree that the blowers are not that much more useful the rake. I only have an acre or so of lawn.

I suggest you see if you have one of those rentals in your area. Rent both types, give them a try, and see which works best for you. Good luck in your hunt.

Great Idea:thumbsup:
I have an electric and it suits me fine, however you need a fat cord (12-2) or you may find you trip the breaker. I only use mine to blow out the garage and small patio/ deck area. If you have a large area I would think that gas might be better but it's one more engine to keep running and maintained:frown:

Attachments

• troybiltpony-005.jpg
    troybiltpony-005.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

You say you think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and invest in a leaf blower, Keep something in mind when you go to buy your blower. When buying a blower it's important to buy a blower that matches the job you're trying to do or accomplish. This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code. You can go to home Depot or Lowes and buy the hand held type and that statement would possibly be true if you're trying to move thing like leaves from your lawn, they would only be good for driveways, decks, patios and such because of the air velocity and air volume with tubes and there is a big difference in what you buy and what it can do . I use a Stihl 550 Back pack blower with 199 mph out the tube and it will move about anything you want moved and if that's not enough they do have a back pack that has 226 mph and it can remove the grass from your lawn.:laughing: Here is a link Comparison Chart - Blowers/Sprayers, Backpack Blowers/Sprayers Features Comparison | STIHL you can compare hand held blowers all the way to the Back pack blower versions and I think it could help you in your decision of what to buy. If you buy a good blower like a Stihl or an Echo you'll not have problems with starting and the warranty last as long as 5 years on the Echo models VS something like the Home-lite or Ryobi that you would by from one of the big box stores. Personally I would stay away from them or those and the electric type because from my experience they don't last and it's a pain dragging around a cord.

briggs

Threads
i have had both i like the gas one better when it works lol:confused2:

rhonda42

Threads
Gas blowers are more portable. I have an electric one and I have to use three 100 foot extension cords to get my entire lawn done. It's about 1 1/4 acres, but at least I don't have to always go buy gas and worry about running out in the middle.

MelissaJones

Forum Newbie
Threads
I honestly prefer electric. Its just the kind I have always used. But I know people who love gas also. I have a Greenworks G-MAX 40V 185MPH DigiPro Leaf Blower/Vac which is electric. But you should check out http://topproducts.com/reviews/best-leaf-blower.htm because they have reviews, pros and cons of both electric and gas leaf blowers. I use this site all the time and find it really helpful!