Troy Bilt Super Bronco Drive Belts

cmanningjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I replaced the blades and deck belt on my 2007 Super Bronco and while I was under there I noticed the drive belts (original) were in need of replacing.

So, went got the new ones got them put on and now it won't hardly go forward. It seems to have a lot of slack in the long belt. I verified the part numbers and even removed the belt again and measured it against the old one.

Any ideas on what I have done wrong??

Thanks,

Lawnranger

Threads
Did you get the correct belt routing? Is the longer of the two drive belts over the belt retainer at the back of the mower chassis? If so, this will destroy your new belt.

cmanningjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you get the correct belt routing? Is the longer of the two drive belts over the belt retainer at the back of the mower chassis? If so, this will destroy your new belt.

I have to admit that I "thought" I had the routing correct. I don't remember the retainer at the back of the mower..

Know anywhere I can get a diagram for this??

Lawnranger

Threads
On the variable speed pulley (the one with both belts) there is a belt retainer or something like a metal finger that keeps the belt on when it is slack and if the belt is over that retainer rather than under it the belt will be destroyed. Is your belt showing signs of shreadding?

There is a diagram in your owner's manual for proper belt routing. You can also go to troybilt.com and click on "Owner's Center" in the upper right of the screen and find your manual using your model number.

cmanningjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh, I mis-understood about the retainer..Sorry

No, it's not shredding, looks fine when I removed it. It looks like it's too long and not engaging when I apply the pedal..

I'll have to look in my owners manual again, I thought all I saw was the deck belts..

cmanningjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I checked the routing diagram..I'm 99.9% sure I have it right.

Lawnranger

Threads
Have an assistant help you in the following procedure. Get under the mower where you can have a good look at the tension pulley movement. Keep your hands out of the way and have your assistant move the pedal from one extreme to the other while you watch the tension pulleys move. The main drive belt is designed to be loose but the slack should be taken up as the pedal is depressed. If the old belt and new belt measure the exact same length and the slack is not being taken up when the pedal is depressed then most likely you have the belt routed incorrectly. Another possibility is that the pedal needs to be in the "up" position as you install the belt.

cmanningjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have an assistant help you in the following procedure. Get under the mower where you can have a good look at the tension pulley movement. Keep your hands out of the way and have your assistant move the pedal from one extreme to the other while you watch the tension pulleys move. The main drive belt is designed to be loose but the slack should be taken up as the pedal is depressed. If the old belt and new belt measure the exact same length and the slack is not being taken up when the pedal is depressed then most likely you have the belt routed incorrectly. Another possibility is that the pedal needs to be in the "up" position as you install the belt.

I'll do that first thing in the morning...It's got to be something simple I messed up...Both new belts match the old ones....Part numbers and all..

I'l let you know what I find...Thanks!!

cmanningjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I managed to get it fixed. Still don't know what I did wrong. Maybe it took walking away from it for a while.

Thanks Lawnranger for your help

Lawnranger

Threads
Glad you got it fixed but I'd sure like to know what you did so I can better help the next person with the same problem.

What exactly did you do to the machine since last night?