Mowing during rain

cohen

Threads
Do you mow when it's raining? Just wondering. I see some people wear rain coats and then go on operating their trimmers under the rain. Isn't that kind of dangerous?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you mow when it's raining?
Isn't that kind of dangerous?

I have mowed in the rain... Just not after the ground starts getting soft.
As there is a danger of damaging the lawn with heavy mowers & tractors on soft earth.

If you are referring to lightning strike danger... I have mowed during a heavy electrical storm but I am inside a cab, the very rare strike of static electricity travels around the outside of an enclosure... Without a cab you are pressing your luck, but it is still rare to be struck by lightning...

Now using an electric mower or trimmer while plugged in to AC power... That's normal safe with GFI circuit breakers and double isolation ... I do not know if I would trust home AC in Europe where household voltage is 220... But if you keep track of your extension cords, they are most likely also safe.. :smile:KennyV

pollyannasmum

Threads
For my husband it's a definite no no but then we have an electric mower and he just won't take chances. I think it's silly to risk it plus the grass is much more difficult to cut when wet as it clogs the machine.

173abn

Threads
I don't like trimming when the grass is dry let alone when it's wet even though I've done it.I try to mow when it's dry although that's not always the norm either.I clean the underside of my mower deck after each mow and wet equals more cleanup. russ

rhonda42

Threads
It's not only dangerous, but it also causes the grass to clump such that usually the lawn has to be raked afterward. It seems, at least me, to only do yard work during non-rainy weather.