8 HP Briggs and Stratton 196437-1041-E1 stalling issue...

electrichorseman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 8 HP Briggs and Stratton 196437-1041-E1 stalling issue...
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board. This information isn't about my lawnmower. I had an issue with stalling on my 8 HP Briggs and Stratton, model # 196437-1041-E1 horizontal shaft with electric start. I was able to repair it by reading a few postings on this and another small engine board and wanted to share this information with other members to help with troubleshooting.

The engine is used to drive the hydraulics on my bucket truck. I maintain it well and have even changed the oil during the 10 years it's been in service. I faithfully use a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank every time I fill it. It has very low hours since it only runs when I operating the bucket. It's mounted in a gang box enclosure on the truck to protect it from the elements.

It had a problem about three years ago when the motor stalled and left me stranded. After much troubleshooting and parts changing I realized that the vacuum operated fuel pump was shot. I went to the nearest Briggs and Stratton dealer and bought a replacement pump, the same rectangular model, # 692026.

About two weeks ago I was using the truck, up about 25', when the engine stalled. Fortunately I was able to get one of my customers maintenance employees to get it started again but it barely ran. It stalled several times until I was able to get the bucket down. Since it had the same symptoms as the last time it quit I decided to go directly to the same B & S dealer and buy a new fuel pump. They sold me the new round model, #799056 explaining that the old model was discontinued and the new round model was designed to handle the new Methanol gas. I replaced the fuel pump having to fashion a mounting bracket since the mounting holes on the new round model didn't line up with the holes on the engine. I started it, it ran for about 3 or 4 minutes, then it stalled. Same situation, it would run fine then suddenly stall. Each attempt to restart would only get a few seconds of rough running from it, then it would quit. I then did the usual troubleshooting, carburetor cleaner, change the spark plug, etc. I placed a light bulb style spark tested in line between the spark plug and the wire. It had plenty of spark. I even pulled the gas tank off, shook it and dumped out the old gas.

I finally gave up, disconnected the hydraulic pump, pulled the engine out and brought it to the B & S dealer. They had it for a week. All they did was remove the carb and soak it in an acid solution, then reinstall it. They told me that it ran for about 10 minutes with no problem. I paid them $62.00, hooked it back up, and started it. It ran for about 5 minutes and stalled. I took it back to the B&S dealer. They ran it while I was there. It ran for about 10 minutes. All they could do was give me some troubleshooting tips, like, if it stalls try disconnecting the low oil shut off sensor or remove the gas cap after it stalls and see if itエs a clogged vent. Neither suggestion worked.

I Google searched "small engine forum" and found a few sites, one being "Lawn Mower Forum". One post explained a problem with the vacuum line on the fuel pump. The next morning I checked two things. The hose running from the crankcase barb to the fuel pump was original (10 years old). I then used the vacuum gauge to check for vacuum at the crankcase barb, about 4 Hg. I went to the auto supply and bought 12" of 1/4" fuel line. I replaced the vacuum line and it ran like a champ.

I believe being enclosed in the gang box (even with the lid open) created a heat buildup which caused an expansion on the old vacuum hose.

Next time I'm checking the forums for troubleshooting tips before I give up and bring an engine to the repair shop. I think the best troubleshooters are the actual engine owners since they have a more sincere interest in getting the engines running.

Ken C.

Arwing64

Threads
Sounds to me like there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I would start by replacing the hose connecting to the fuel pump.

It could also be the PCV breather going bad or the gasket. That would cause a vacuum leak.

I would also examine the gaskets mating the carburetor and intake manifold and the engine block. I've seen a lot of cases where once the engine heats up, the parts expand and cause the seals to fail. Then when its cooled off, it runs fine until it warms up and suddenly stops. Replacing the gaskets sometimes fixes it.

An alternative to using those vacuum style fuel pumps is to just get an electrical fuel pump. They are far more reliable and last a lot longer. This may not be an option if the engine isn't connected to a battery.

Check the compression of the engine when it is cold and after it is warmed up and compare the difference.

Threads
Sounds to me like there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I would start by replacing the hose connecting to the fuel pump.

It could also be the PCV breather going bad or the gasket. That would cause a vacuum leak.

I would also examine the gaskets mating the carburetor and intake manifold and the engine block. I've seen a lot of cases where once the engine heats up, the parts expand and cause the seals to fail. Then when its cooled off, it runs fine until it warms up and suddenly stops. Replacing the gaskets sometimes fixes it.

An alternative to using those vacuum style fuel pumps is to just get an electrical fuel pump. They are far more reliable and last a lot longer. This may not be an option if the engine isn't connected to a battery.

Check the compression of the engine when it is cold and after it is warmed up and compare the difference.

Hey Arwing64................. He did get it running, He sterted this thread to let everyone know what his issue WAS, that way other people can resolve theirs more easier, instead of head scratching and going to a shop.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board. This information isn't about my lawnmower. I had an issue with stalling on my 8 HP Briggs and Stratton, model # 196437-1041-E1 horizontal shaft with electric start. I was able to repair it by reading a few postings on this and another small engine board and wanted to share this information with other members to help with troubleshooting.

The engine is used to drive the hydraulics on my bucket truck. I maintain it well and have even changed the oil during the 10 years it's been in service. I faithfully use a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank every time I fill it. It has very low hours since it only runs when I operating the bucket. It's mounted in a gang box enclosure on the truck to protect it from the elements.

It had a problem about three years ago when the motor stalled and left me stranded. After much troubleshooting and parts changing I realized that the vacuum operated fuel pump was shot. I went to the nearest Briggs and Stratton dealer and bought a replacement pump, the same rectangular model, # 692026.

About two weeks ago I was using the truck, up about 25', when the engine stalled. Fortunately I was able to get one of my customers maintenance employees to get it started again but it barely ran. It stalled several times until I was able to get the bucket down. Since it had the same symptoms as the last time it quit I decided to go directly to the same B & S dealer and buy a new fuel pump. They sold me the new round model, #799056 explaining that the old model was discontinued and the new round model was designed to handle the new Methanol gas. I replaced the fuel pump having to fashion a mounting bracket since the mounting holes on the new round model didn't line up with the holes on the engine. I started it, it ran for about 3 or 4 minutes, then it stalled. Same situation, it would run fine then suddenly stall. Each attempt to restart would only get a few seconds of rough running from it, then it would quit. I then did the usual troubleshooting, carburetor cleaner, change the spark plug, etc. I placed a light bulb style spark tested in line between the spark plug and the wire. It had plenty of spark. I even pulled the gas tank off, shook it and dumped out the old gas.

I finally gave up, disconnected the hydraulic pump, pulled the engine out and brought it to the B & S dealer. They had it for a week. All they did was remove the carb and soak it in an acid solution, then reinstall it. They told me that it ran for about 10 minutes with no problem. I paid them $62.00, hooked it back up, and started it. It ran for about 5 minutes and stalled. I took it back to the B&S dealer. They ran it while I was there. It ran for about 10 minutes. All they could do was give me some troubleshooting tips, like, if it stalls try disconnecting the low oil shut off sensor or remove the gas cap after it stalls and see if itエs a clogged vent. Neither suggestion worked.

I Google searched "small engine forum" and found a few sites, one being "Lawn Mower Forum". One post explained a problem with the vacuum line on the fuel pump. The next morning I checked two things. The hose running from the crankcase barb to the fuel pump was original (10 years old). I then used the vacuum gauge to check for vacuum at the crankcase barb, about 4 Hg. I went to the auto supply and bought 12" of 1/4" fuel line. I replaced the vacuum line and it ran like a champ.

I believe being enclosed in the gang box (even with the lid open) created a heat buildup which caused an expansion on the old vacuum hose.

Next time I'm checking the forums for troubleshooting tips before I give up and bring an engine to the repair shop. I think the best troubleshooters are the actual engine owners since they have a more sincere interest in getting the engines running.

Ken C.

We have a thread on this exact same issue on here...... Within the last 6 months actually....... The poster actually was looking for a exact replacement of the pump or a kit to fix it..... It was the vacuum hose also that was bad.....

BTW you don't have a relief valve on the bottom so someone can let you down ???????

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Mkala

Threads
Hello electrichorseman, thanks for sharing your story ! Sometimes it's quite some hassle for just a little thing... but the hard part is to find it.
This can help others for sure !