Mowing when it's wet.

pollyannasmum

Threads
Is this to be recommended with an electric mower? I know my husband won't do it because of the dangers of electricity and water together but I regularly see my neighbours out there just after it's been raining.

Mac 624

Threads
A good electric Mower should be that good insulated, that it does not matter, if you mow in the rain. But it makes no sense, cause the grass will not ne catched.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't use an electric mower but I do mow early morning if possible when the grass is completely saturated with dew. If the constant fog of water vapor from the discharge chute begins to diminish it's time to put the mower back in the barn.

The advantages are 1) no dust - 2) cool temperature for me and the air cooled engine - 3) self cleaning deck (well almost):biggrin:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would not mow wet grass regardless of the mower type. It's too heavy, clumps up, and sticks to the deck. Every once in a while you have no choice but only then.

briggs

Threads
i wouldn't its hard on the mower plus it clumps up and sticks to the deck ..If it has a steel body it wont last long ..

Attachments

• original_190720_Wu5IITuQNC8pFdrhbpoWPrX8O.jpg
    original_190720_Wu5IITuQNC8pFdrhbpoWPrX8O.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 8

noma

Threads
Hi Yes i think its hard on the mow when its wet, and it doesn't mow good it plugs up very easy. Its hard on the engine too why over work the engine and get it hotter then it needs to be?

cohen

Threads
Oh! I just posted a thread about trimming grass when it's raining. But this thread is about electric mowers. I don't think it's a good idea to mow the grass when it's raining. But when the grass is simply wet (after a rain or due to morning dew), then perhaps you can mow safely still using your electric mower. It's mowing while it's raining using gas-fueled mowers that I'm not so sure about.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think it's a good idea to mow the grass when it's raining. But when the grass is simply wet (after a rain or due to morning dew), then perhaps you can mow safely still using your electric mower.

Using an undamaged extension cord in a GFI protected outlet will remove the electrical danger...

BUT wet grass will not lift as well as dry grass, so your cut may not be as even if you have a mixture of grasses on your lawn... KennyV

Smartaleck

Threads
I just did this and what everyone says about the grass clumping is absolutely on the button! I gave up halfway through because the grass wasn't even getting to the box, it just clogged the input hole and the engine was labouring. Definitely not worth the effort.

abra

Threads
If the grass is to wet it dosnt matter what type of mower you have or how sharp your blades are you will find it wont cut all of your grass and just fold it over.
We wont mow wet grass.