Starting a lawn care business

MyType

Threads
Hi, Im bout to purchase a cargo van tommorow and a ztr sometime this week for my lawn care business, I dont have alot of cash and was looking to purchase a ztr for under $3500, looking for some advice on whats my best options. Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find Good Used equipment...
Under $3500 is not going to buy a lot of new stuff.... :smile:KennyV

chn

Threads
It depends on how you want to play your business, if you want to do things by the hour like say 15-30 is what I charge. Sometimes that includes yards but only when I do additional work like detailed bush and hedge trimming and pruning, get you about 10 or so customers and they will keep you a pretty good substantial income. therefore I only have a few so I do have my construction business to hwork either way just to. back it up. But I do know if you have a mow blow and go business you will need a lot of customers
If you have the by hour, you will not exactly need a zero turn, you could have a good riding mower though and find a deal on it
You would have to invest in weed eater, maybe the attachments to the motor and ne pricing it came out to be about 300-400 for that. Pruning tools and trimming tools and a push mower. it will come out well under the 3500 mark.
Where I live you have to pay the government %15 tax

hope I could be of help

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi, I'm bout to purchase a cargo van tomorrow and a ztr sometime this week for my lawn care business, I don't have a lot of cash and was looking to purchase a ztr for under $3500, looking for some advice on whats my best options. Thanks!

Question...what part of Florida are you in. Like Kenny said buying used equipment is your best choice. What type of money you spend would depend on how large a business you're going to establish. What type of client list you're going too have, what you're going to charge and so on.
I can tell you it will take more than ten clients to make any money if you build your business and do it the right way. The two things too remember when starting a Lawncare business are, ( Location and your Competition ) both can make you or break you.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know guys that only do 10 to 15 yards a week with a push mower because it gives a better cut.
At $60 plus per yard. Now there are other guys in the same neighborhood that use zero turns that only charge $30 to $35. My friend could take all there yards from them but is happy just doing under 15. Get a couple good snapper mowers change your blades every few yards. Make nice straight lines. Take a lot of pride in every yard.
Anyone can cut grass you need to make all the neighbors to want there yard to look as good as the yards you cut

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Threads
I know guys that only do 10 to 15 yards a week with a push mower because it gives a better cut.
At $60 plus per yard. Now there are other guys in the same neighborhood that use zero turns that only charge $30 to $35. My friend could take all there yards from them but is happy just doing under 15. Get a couple good snapper mowers change your blades every few yards. Make nice straight lines. Take a lot of pride in every yard.
Anyone can cut grass you need to make all the neighbors to want there yard to look as good as the yards you cut

I agree...I like the quality of cut of small walk-behind mowers. I think it is necessary to take pride in your work, and if you have enough time, worry about quality more than quickness. :smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Carscw what do you consider a Lawn-care Business? Not trying to be arrogant or anything but ten to fifteen yards a week:confused3:

chn

Threads
when I said 15-30 I Meany per hour not per job. it all does depend on location

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree...I like the quality of cut of small walk-behind mowers. I think it is necessary to take pride in your work, and if you have enough time, worry about quality more than quickness. :smile:

I agree a Quality cut is a good thing, but you have too remember in Lawn-care time is money and you need both Quality and Quickness if you want to make a living in the business.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric said:
Carscw what do you consider a Lawn-care Business? Not trying to be arrogant or anything but ten to fifteen yards a week:confused3:

So for one man to make $600 a week is not good?
Like I said he can get the whole neighborhood but is happy with what he has.
If I paid 500 k for a house I would not want a big mower on my yard.
How many ppl do you know that work 2 days a week or all week and bring home $600 ?