Do you still mow bermuda grass?

adan

Threads
I see people mow bermuda grass in golf courses. But do you mow bermuda grass around your home? Normally we just sweep the lawn :) The growth of bermuda around the lawn isn't uniform. Besides, sitting on the bermuda grass makes you feel like you're being pricked by a thousand needles at your bottom :) That is a concern because we spend a lot of time on our lawn with our kids during weekends.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have some large patches of bermuda ... I mow it right along with all the rest.
The bermuda is the last to green up in the spring and the first to go dormant in the fall... so it actually gets mowed the least... but it's still mowed with everything else...
I like it because it is very tuff ground cover and seems to never 'need' watering... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
A lot of people around here consider it a pest as it will invade St augustine and other lawns. It's very difficult to control as it is so prolific. I think it's great, very hardy. I am encouraging it to take over my Bahia grass. It is the first grass to turn color in cool weather however.
I've heard that bermuda likes to be or is most attractive when cut low and often in wet weather. I'm not one to cut often so I cut it as any other grass.

linda4

Threads
I have Bermuda grass on my home lawn and I mow it regularly. In fact, in the summer I have to mow it twice a week or it grows way too high.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It must taste good too:biggrin:... horses love it... :smile:KennyV

Mean Machine

Threads
There is a recommended range for the height of Bermudagrass to keep it healthy and attractive. Minimum height is 1/2", while the maximum height is 2". Beyond 2" it would need to be mowed.

kelly5

Threads
The problem is probably the mower you are using. Bermuda grass needs to be cut at about 1 to 1/2 inches in height and most home rotary mowers can't cut that low without scalping the surface.

rhonda42

Threads
You should try to use a reel mower rather than a rotary mower and make sure to keep the blade especially sharp. Rotary mowers, like most used at home, will scalp the ground