Repairs Husqvarna 2654 drive belt jumps off pulley at rear axle

fairlaniac

Threads
  • / Husqvarna 2654 drive belt jumps off pulley at rear axle
Yesterday my '08 Husqvarna 2654 had it's initial problem (116 hours). After about an hour of operation I went to back up and I heard a crack and there was no forward or reverse motion. So I push it to the garage to investigate. The drive belt from the engine to the rear axle was off the rear pulley. I got it back on and operated for another 15 minutes using forward an reverse with no problems. Then all of a sudden when I go to back up the crack and no motion happened again. So I called it a night. Any ideas or experiences? It is the original belt, would it simply be time for a new belt?

Thanks,
Doug

Lawnranger

Threads
A four year old belt could be stretched and on its way out but in addition to a new belt, I'd make sure to check all the pulleys, pulley bearings, pulley alignment, tension springs and anything else related to the drive system. It could be as simple as a stick getting caught in the drive belt and now there is a chunk missing or some kind of damage to the belt that causes it to fall off. Inspect everything and make sure to take pictures, draw diagrams or what ever will help you remember the proper belt routing so you can put things back together correctly the first time.

Good luck and ask lots of questions.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Time maybe for a new belt. if you can't take up the play.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
also make sure that the tranny support bracket on the front or front corner hasn't came loose. If the support bracket has come loose it will allow the tranny to rock and will flip the belt off. Normally occurs when going in reverse, and you stop.

fairlaniac

Threads
Installed new belt and all was well until the last 5 passes. I was moving forward down a slight grade, stopped and reversed and the belt came off. This time the axle is acting funny. I pulled the rear pin to put the axles in free wheel but only one want to go in the forward direction, the other is fighting going in reverse. I had to lift the rear of the tractor and carry it while pushing to get back to the garage. On the garage floor you cannot push it as the axles are fighting each other. I have it up on jack stands and if you spin one wheel, the other goes the oppostie direction. Maybe something is jamming in the rear and then the belt jumps off? I'm tempted on opening the rear but I'd like a diagram first so I know where things go when they fall out. Any advice on the matter is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

fairlaniac

Threads
I may have found my issue. See pics and page from manual. Item 226 is "Bracket Mount Torque". If you look there are to be t screws item 125 that come in from the front through item 80 "Bracket Strap Torque" and then there are two more screws item 125 that come from the top and through the two hole in the top of item 226. Well as you'll see in the one picture, item 226 (angle) the two hole in the top are mangled up. There are also seration marks from screws that once were there. So no screw and I cannot figure out what those top 2 screws (item 125) screwed into? Does anyone know? It looks like in the one picture looking from the ground up that two cast aluminum fins on the housing are broken. Is there to be something there to bolt onto with the angle bracket item 226? Looks like I'll be fabbing up something to stabilize the torque as it appears the belt coming off is attributed to the axle rotating forward. Anyone disagree? Who would have designed those thin fins to take the torque? I'm sure the two screws came loose and the vibration busted the fins (if they were there). Oh well, out to the garage.

Again I apologize if I semed to hijack the thread. At first I thought we had a common problem. I'm going to copy this on my original post on the topic.

Thanks to all!
lgt2654%20001.jpg

lgt2654%20002.jpg

lgt2654%20004.jpg

PDF of manual showing item 226 http://www.fairlanet.com/images/lgt2654 chassis.pdf

fairlaniac

Threads
Found the real issue. The two bolts tha tcome from the top through the angle bracket actually thread into the upper half of the rear housing. These two bolts were sheared flush. So I pulled the rear axle and drilled out the broken bolts and actually installed heli-coils. I'm going to use studs and loc-tite them in and use nuts and lock washers to fasten the axle to the angle bracket. Piece of cake. I also notice the two flanges on the frame where the acle bolts to is all but ripped off. It seem the axle was rotating forward and backward without the broken bolts and tore the sheet metal frame. So I'll weld them up tomorrow and back it up with some 1/8 thick angle iron. After that it should be solid as a rock again and the rear axle should not rotate fore or aft.

Thanks,

fastback

Threads
Good pictures and good job identifing the problem. Now you need to stop doing those wheel stands :smile:

heathtrucking@tds.net

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the real issue. The two bolts tha tcome from the top through the angle bracket actually thread into the upper half of the rear housing. These two bolts were sheared flush. So I pulled the rear axle and drilled out the broken bolts and actually installed heli-coils. I'm going to use studs and loc-tite them in and use nuts and lock washers to fasten the axle to the angle bracket. Piece of cake. I also notice the two flanges on the frame where the acle bolts to is all but ripped off. It seem the axle was rotating forward and backward without the broken bolts and tore the sheet metal frame. So I'll weld them up tomorrow and back it up with some 1/8 thick angle iron. After that it should be solid as a rock again and the rear axle should not rotate fore or aft.

Thanks,

Crap, just checked and I have the same problem, rear axle coming out and hopefully can drill out broken bolts...!!!

BillvonSteuben

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks,

I encountered a similar problem with our mower. After a couple of seasons, the flanges on the frame failed. When repairing it, the bolts securing the front of the housing to the cross member were NEVER installed! No wonder the repair shop said; "Yeah, we see that with Husqvarna's."

Bill