Trying to replace rear axle on CMM1200

Brinybay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to make this thing last one more season before shelling out several hundred on a new mower. It's biggest problem was the height adjustment wasn't holding, it kept sinking to it's lowest level.

That was due to the sprockets that hold the desired height were bent, broken, or worn. It's part of the rear axle, so I sent for a rear axle.

In order to get the rear axle off, I have to get the wheels off, and that's where the problem is. I can't figure out how to get them off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Widmer

Threads
If it's like the CMM1000 (which I have), you'll need to loosen the push rings somehow that hold the wheels on the axles. But I don't know if they can be loosened, they might have to be cut off somehow -- not sure how one would do that, either -- and then replaced.

Here is a close up view of a wheel, axle, and push ring on the CMM1000, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Mower_Wheel_AxleAndPushRing_8937.jpg

(Somebody had told me the rings are Part No. 241658-03)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those go by several names: speed nuts, Palnuts, spring nuts... They generally are not reusable and must be replaced after removal... easiest way to remove is with a very sharp, small chisel cut the flat face & discard... if you can remove it without cutting the ring, it May not capture the shaft when re-installed... :smile:KennyV

Brinybay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, that's them, but I managed to get them off using a small screwdriver and bending two or three of the individual "fingers" up, then prying it off. I also was able to re-use them by flattening the fingers back down with pliers, it worked. There's also one smaller one that holds the arm that goes to the front wheels (part #15), same story with that one. I wonder what tool is used to remove these? I can only picture a small version of a gear puller.

Once I got the axle and wheels back on, I discovered that the finger on part #45 in the diagram was bent out and wouldn't mesh with the height adjustment sprockets. Not wanting to send for another part and disassemble the whole thing again, I used a "high-tech" solution by getting a pair of vice grips under it and bending it back in place.

Nice not to have a jungle for a yard anymore, even nicer that the effort saved me $3-4 hundred for a new mower. This should last at least another season.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 6