Mowing a lawn when it is raining

Seano

Forum Newbie
Threads
My next door neighbors mow their lawn when it rains. It even seems, they only mow the lawn when it is raining...lightning and thunder also. Now, I can well imagine what could happen to someone holding on to a metal handle connected to a running engine, but what can a wet lawn do to a metal mower besides rust?

scott47429

Threads
other then rust it works the engine harder and in turn burns more gas and makes the engine run hotter also and also can clog up the deck it will cause the grass to pack under the deck more affecting the cut and look of the yard and if not cleaned out it will cause the deck to rust out

Popeye

Threads
Mowed the property about a month ago in a light sprinkle. Kind of enjoyed it. Nice and cool and my SnapperPro didn't seem to mind at all. When a little heavier shower came through we took a water break and a cool down. Did have a mess cleaning the deck though.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Love cutting grass in the rain
And it will not make it rust any faster then if you hose it off every time you use it
There are a few on here that will not agree but some as well as my self feel let the grass get nice and hard under the deck it's like rust proofing.
I just got a 22 year old MTD that was sitting in a barn for five years with grass caked under the deck and zero rust.
As far as the engine working harder just put the deck up a notch.
I see so many people wash off there mower then put it in a shed. Duh think about it a wet mower in a shed = rust

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. :smile:

combatcarl

Threads
Here in western Oregon, it rains enough all winter, you have to mow wet grass, or while it rains. I don't see all that much higher "rusty deck" rates, unless its a cheap mower to start with, or ya never clean it.

possum

Threads
I would be more than glad to mow in the rain if only it would indeed rain. If I mowed right now all the grass would be gone along with a couple inches of fine topsoil dust.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Working commercially i need to keep a schedule i mow rain or shine and a few times snow

SUPERIOR MAINTENANCE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I AM A COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPER,MOWING IN THE RAIN IS NO PROBLEM FOR MY MOWERS BUT MOWING WITH MY HEAVIER MACHINES TENDS TO LEAVE BLACK LINES IN MY TRACKS, MY GREAT DANE IS LIKE 1700 POUNDS

Bullseye

Threads
My next door neighbors mow their lawn when it rains. It even seems, they only mow the lawn when it is raining...lightning and thunder also. Now, I can well imagine what could happen to someone holding on to a metal handle connected to a running engine, but what can a wet lawn do to a metal mower besides rust?

I have cut my grass while it was raining - no apparent harm to the tractor or the mowers. The grass looked like it always did. Stay inside while it is lightning though. A zap can ruin your whole day.

I use a leaf blower instead of a hose to remove debris.

~Bullseye