Choice of Spark Plugs

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So Once again It was your attitude toward your customers that I commented about and I still think that if a customer wants a certain part then you should install it for them, even if they have to get it themselves ( Of course only if it is the right part ).[/QUOTE]

Like I said I have a understanding with a customer before I ever touch anything. If I can't do top quality work all I am saying is take it elsewhere. We have a lot of shops around here that make a living doing this type of work and need the work. This is not a job for me but a hobby and I am sure any hobby of your you pick and chose also. There is a big differance between a hobby and a job and if you don't know this you got your own problims. I also like making a few $'s and not lose money. When I was working full time I sure would never have time to be on a forum at this hour.

tybilly

Threads
my dad once told me you can buy ac bad in the box,im wanting to try selling the auto-fire,at one time champion was the "off /no name brand"..its reccomended to change plugs every 100hrs anyway,i doubt any plug maunfacturer is going to warranty your coil for their spark plug failure anyway,so go with what works best.german equipment german plug..etc,my forst time in a froum lol.

nbpt100

Threads
I stumbled across this information while doing a little research. Click on the link, go to page 17, look under the title heading "Spark Plug" on the top half of the page, go to the outlined box that has the word "IMPORTANT" in upper case and bold letters. Take careful notice of what the warning says and implies. Even with evidence like this, I'd be willing to bet there is still at least one person on this forum that will argue the point.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Here is the link: http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/de2bcd12-cae2-4156-93f5-cdeabdf40638/PAS230es1112_121411.pdf

I can hear the nay-sayers already - "but, but, but, it doesn't matter." Tell Echo that they are wrong.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I wonder what they call severe damage? Most cases with the wrong plug it dose not start or skips. I assume they are not talking about an interference. That is obvious.

I view it as what is my time is worth. A spark plug is very inexpensive compared to most things. I just get what it came with from the factory and if I can not, I get NGK. It has always worked out fine for me. The Chinese Torch plugs cross ref to NGK's very well.
I know that Briggs and Stratton plugs are Champions so that is a no brainer to substitute.
There may be 10 other plugs out there that may work just fine. I don't have time to experiment.
I have found the cross ref charts can take some poetic license and not all references are the exact heat range. That is something you need to be careful with.

enigma-2

Threads
I use Briggs & Stratton plugs in the kit. Keeps it simple - once a year (or two). :thumbsup:

oldyellr

Threads
I wonder what they call severe damage? Most cases with the wrong plug it dose not start or skips. I assume they are not talking about an interference. That is obvious.

A plug that's way too hot will cause pre-ignition, maybe burn a hole in the piston. But that's mostly for racing engines, which use cold plugs. Lawn mower engines use fairly hot plugs. But just because a plug fits it can still cause interference if it's too long a reach or extended nose. And there are different kinds of seats, so using the wrong one can cause physical damage or damage from leakage. Even using a longer reach plug that does not cause interference is bad because deposits building up on the exposed threads will make it impossible to remove.

rneal55555

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use whatever the OEM used or recommends, it may not make much difference in a small engine but all engines are tuned by the OEM to a specific plug (in some cases two (NGK or Denso) in Japanese stuff). The or equivelents in most cases have been reverse engineered becasue the plug manufactureres don't release detailed date on heat ranges etc only approximations.

Thats why You see the difference in cars/motorcylce/boats etc when you put in the equivelent it works but is just a little off in a small engine maybe not even enough to really notice but it's off.

In this day and age with the internet the right plug is really only a google search and 2 Days away, many times with free shipping.

agmcclure

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd be willing to bet there is still at least one person on this forum that will argue the point.

No argument here because not my equipment and could care less what ever you do with your equipment or time. I am not going to hunt all over for a certain brand spark plug. Just how much money can I charge a customer looking for a spark plug? If they don't like the brand spark plug I installed,they fix there own mower next time or take it else where.

Absolutely agree. My personal preference is NGK.

jrelkhunt

Forum Newbie
Threads
As long as they are the right heat range personally I don't see a difference. They all do the same job. Now years age when I was working as a truck mechanic we did run across a brand of plugs that the porcelain would break off and hit the top of the piston. I am not real sure what the brand it was being so long ago but it seems like it was Champion plugs. I am going back into the early 60's and am sure they have fixed the problem. I don't think they even sell large gas powered trucks anymore only pickup trucks????

sure they do---large semi trucks now are converted to compressed natural gas using the converted same big diesel engines

Riick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Question:
As long as the plug Fires, is Clean, has the right Gap, and has nice edges, (all total 3 minutes work)....
Why would I change it ??