JohnDeere Electric 90

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
John Deere built this great electric Rider in the early 70's. It was a 36 volt system. Worked great, I had 2 of them, nice quiet rider, with 2 electric motors on the deck & one larger electric drive motor & 3 speed transmission. still have a lot of parts.
Here is a small picture I found on line...
:smile:KennyV

Attachments

• JDelectric90.jpg
    JDelectric90.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 56

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kenny, that was the first electric I ever worked on. As you said great machine. Wish today's electrical systems were as easy to work on as back then. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

panabiker

Threads
Makes me wonder why we don't see more of them today. The battery technology has advanced quite a bit after 40 years.

msaeger

Threads
How long could you run on a charge with that?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
How long could you run on a charge with that?

If you kept things reasonably trimmed & mowed, you could mow 1/3 - 1/2 of an acre, (medium sized lawn), easily on a charge... :smile:KennyV

VA Husker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I am new to the forum here...I just knew there were some admirers of the Electric 90!

I had to read the rules through an itty bitty window, so if showing a couple of mowers for sale is wrong...sorry.

Long story short, my Dad drove an electric car for years and a fellow told him that he could have his John Deere Electric 90 if he could pull it out from behind his barn.

So Dad pulled it out, cleaned it up, bought some batteries and a 36V charger, made a few small repairs and more or less retired his gas powered Cub Cadet. (Once he got the Electric 90 running, he really didn't feel like using the gas mower)! His yard and extra adjacent lot were probably closer to an acre than a half acre...I just thought it was amazing that they worked as well as they did. It still runs fine. The Interstate deep cycle batteries are probably 4 or 5 years old, but still cut about 3/4ths of that large area before needing to hit the charger for a while.

Sure is nice not having to run for gas, change oil, plugs, air cleaners, or winterize it. No stale gas or gummy carburetor problems, either.

After he had this mower a while he somehow acquired a second mower minus the deck, batteries and seat. It still appears to have the drive motor installed when I saw it last week.

I didn't see anything in the rules about offering it for sale, but if I missed it, please just let me know. The mowers are located at my parents house in the midwest near Lincoln, NE. If these mowers are something that you may be interested in owning you can just reply to the CL listing. My Dad passed away last year and I don't have room for these myself or I would take them.

You can find the listing and pictures on Craigslist under Lincoln, NE/ farm and garden, or click the link at the bottom.

One complete and running mower, one matching mower less the deck, seat, and batteries. You would also get TWO 36V chargers (not sure why he had two of them, unless he was eventually going to put one on board.) There is an anderson connector pigtail that can be attached to the battery pack so that you can just drive up to the charger and plug it in. I would really like to see these go to someone that appreciates them.

Thanks.

John Deere Electric Mower 90, includes spare for parts

Last edited:

SiO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I too am a newby to this forum.

VA Husker, I took the liberty of posting your craigs list ad on the Elec-Trak forum under tractors for sale-hope that was ok?

I have a 1972 GE Elec-Trak E15 that I mow my 3 acres with--great machines--still running after 40 years.

FYI, there is a Elec-Trak swap meet happening in the Dayton, Ohio area on Saturday, 29 September 2012.
details are at Elec-Trak.com

Happy Trails...
Bruce

VA Husker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure, that's fine. Thanks. I saw an elec-trak mower rig at the EVADC and Power of DC meet in MD a few years ago. Impressive machine.

Hello, I too am a newby to this forum.

VA Husker, I took the liberty of posting your craigs list ad on the Elec-Trak forum under tractors for sale-hope that was ok?

I have a 1972 GE Elec-Trak E15 that I mow my 3 acres with--great machines--still running after 40 years.

FYI, there is a Elec-Trak swap meet happening in the Dayton, Ohio area on Saturday, 29 September 2012.
details are at Elec-Trak.com

Happy Trails...
Bruce

ozzieandharriet

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere built this great electric Rider in the early 70's. It was a 36 volt system. Worked great, I had 2 of them, nice quiet rider, with 2 electric motors on the deck & one larger electric drive motor & 3 speed transmission. still have a lot of parts.
Here is a small picture I found on line...
:smile:KennyV
Kenny, I am looking for a switch that starts the mower deck, John Deere part # AM 33986 or AM 35267.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
PM me your mailing address and I will remove one from one of my E90's...
I'm glad to see it going to keep another mower running... :smile:KennyV