Blade Sharpening - I am not satisfied with how I have done it

schmidtsm

Threads
  • / Blade Sharpening - I am not satisfied with how I have done it
I like it! I'll give it a try. You should consider uploading a template of your jig.

mowerman05

Threads
I use a RBG 3410 that I purchased on ebay because I got tired of waiting for someone else. make sure if you buy something that it will sharpen your blades, some do not have a long enough travel area for the longer blades. works great and I do it on my time frame no waiting

Threads
Getting the bevel right on the leading edge makes all the difference.

LakeRat1

Threads
Gentleman That is A slick deal you made there, You know the Old Saying, a Picture is worth a 1000 words, Thanks for Sharing

LakeRat1

schmidtsm

Threads
I use a RBG 3410 that I purchased on ebay because I got tired of waiting for someone else. make sure if you buy something that it will sharpen your blades, some do not have a long enough travel area for the longer blades. works great and I do it on my time frame no waiting

I hope you didn't buy that $1300 grinder just to sharpen your lawnmower blades.

mowerman05

Threads
mostly yes but a few friends. No I didnt pay that on ebay, something like $425.00

BWH

Threads
Great Buy!!

I too purchased on E-Bay a commercial grade sharpener at a greatly reduced price.

Magnamatic 9000 Blade Sharpener and Magnamatic 1000 Balancer $375.00 for the both in mint condition, then built a stand to the factory specifications.

I do custom sharpening which should pay back the original investment in a year or two.

mowerman05

Threads
do you think the commercial machines do a awsome job ? I really like having the ability to sharpen my blades when I need to. tried to use a grinder years ago but was not very successful with it.

BWH

Threads
Yes I am sold on the commercial sharpeners they put on as perfect and true of angle as the factory (in some cases better). The thing that sold me during my research was the fact that due to the higher RPM of the commercial blade grinder over bench grinders it will pull the material off the blade quicker taking the heat with it thus keeping the blade cooler. The other plus to these sharpeners is the fact that once you the proper angle on the blade has been established it only takes a few passes over the blade to sharpen, many times hand grinding a person will go over it a number of times thus shortening the life of the blade.

P.S. when I am doing sharpening for others the 摘ye Appeal of that perfectly smooth edge sells itself, sometimes you have to try to slow down the walk in business considering this is an after work hobby.

woolyhead

Threads
I recently bought a small grindstone wheel with a plastic guide backing it at the correct angle for a rotary mower blade. I got it from Amazon for 3.50 pounds sterling plus VAT, post free. And how difficult can it be to balance a blade yourself? Not difficult, surely?