HONDA NEEDS TO SEAL THEIR MULCH PLUG BETTER!

Threads
The new Honda mowers have something called the CLIP DIRECTOR, where you can change the setting of the mower from mulching to bagging using a lever. I had mine on mulching, which closes this door so no grass is SUPPOSED to go past the plug, but as you can see, it does not work. Honda needs to improve the seal so this doesn't happen! The attached picture shows how much grass got past the "door" and was just sitting in the space in between the door and the other door (for lack of a better term) that you put up to fit the bag under if you want to bag.
DSCN6614.jpg

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda have had this problem since day one.
They had to keep holding off introducing this type of mower to the market because of the lever and door.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The door on the Clip Director should seal all the way, or there's a problem with that specific mower to fix, not necessary a design ("all have this problem") issue. The have been hundreds of thousands of mowers built by Honda with the Clip Director, and believe me, if they ALL were not sealing, Honda would have a fix out by now. FYI, the HRX model with the Clip Director has been on the market for almost 10 years now.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
FYI the honda HRX was due for release in 2002 but wasnt officially released until about 2005 over here because of said mulching facility.
Then there was the transmission problem and we are still getting the snapping of cable problem on the rota stop clutch.
More customers unhappy than happy with a HRX.

Bullitt66

Threads
I have the same mower you do. Mine does the same thing. I left the bag on while mulching and was surprised how much was in there when I was done.

Bullitt66

Threads
Have you brought it into the dealer to check it out? I cut the grass tonight and mulched with the bag attached. The bag was probably 20% full!
Curious to know what the shop would say. Maybe I'll call Honda.

Threads
No I have not, since it seems like everyone has the same problem....you should call Honda....tell me what they say!

JSB33

Threads
Just got a new HRX yesterday, did a small test on one section of the yard in full mulch and had the exact same result.
Very surprised at how much grass was there. No biggie to me as I blow off the mower with a leaf blower after every cut but I can see that if i forget, I am going to have a garage that stinks like rotting grass.

Threads
Just got a new HRX yesterday, did a small test on one section of the yard in full mulch and had the exact same result.
Very surprised at how much grass was there. No biggie to me as I blow off the mower with a leaf blower after every cut but I can see that if i forget, I am going to have a garage that stinks like rotting grass.

I don't clean it out every day and I don't smell anything in the garage, but maybe I am immune to it after one year! :wink: It seems like a lot of people are having this problem, but it is very minor! If sometimes you bag the grass, though, it is best to clean out the chute daily because after a week of the grass in there sometimes it gets hard to turn the Clip Director to the full-bag position. :confused2:

NJsnapper

Threads
My HHR does the exact same thing, its in correctly too. With the plug in correctly you can see light around the plug where the grass clipping will come thru.