Cicada Killer

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I started to notice holes excavated in my yard. The holes were over an inch in diameter and judging by the amount of dirt excavated they are several inches deep. I had no idea that they were made by insects. Thes huge wasp like insects are about 2 " long and can capture and carry a full grown Cicada, the big cicadas, and stuff one in this hole. The cicadas are bigger then the wasps. I have dozens of these things on my property.
Has anyone ever seen this before?

grnspot110

Threads
Used to see them at the farm a lot! Look pretty mean, but I've never heard of anybody being stung by one. ~~ grnspot110

173abn

Threads
I have em at my place,don't think I've ever heard of em stinging anyone.When I was a kid I gave em a wide berth. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are impressive looking .. but perty calm... If you have not seen them, here is a picture I found of a couple in a small hand..

Attachments

• Cicada Killer.jpg
    Cicada Killer.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 12

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
They are impressive looking .. but perty calm... If you have not seen them, here is a picture I found of a couple in a small hand..

Yep that's what they look like, and they got stingers and will sting.
My dog got stung by one once, she had her head out the window of my pickup and somehow one got her in the lip. She came back through the window and brought that big wasp in cab with her:eek:. At the time i didn't know what it was. The dog was pretty upset so I know it hurt like hell.
Ever heard of a cow killer? I got lots of them. I read that thier sting hurts too.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
RobertBrown...
Ha hah , you have some interesting bugs in Florida, but these two I've got in Kansas...
Those are known around here as velvet ant.. They don't have wings and it's a good thing... The female has a stinger and it hurts so bad that it gets the name cow killer...here's a picture for anyone that has not seen one... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• cow killer.jpg
    cow killer.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 8

DakotaMM

Threads
Velvet Ant! Wow it sure is pretty but it sounds like it is not an ant that you want to pet. As for your Cicada Killer problem there has to be some way to get rid of them. I am sure you do not want all that damage toy our yard.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Velvet Ant! Wow it sure is pretty but it sounds like it is not an ant that you want to pet. As for your Cicada Killer problem there has to be some way to get rid of them. I am sure you do not want all that damage toy our yard.

I'm just going to leave them alone, I have my hands full trying to keep the fire ants under control. Cicada killers are amusing compared to fire ants