JD L120 Transmission

cdallisons

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a L120 tractor and while in use I noticed that after about an hour the transmission starts to weeken. I have some hilly terrain in my yard and it gets to the point that it doesn't even climb the hills any more. Seems to be fine when it is cold. does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this or if there is a cure? Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is turning out to be a problem with JD in the last few day's on here, there are a few post been put up have a look at them, then have you look at the belt. if its not that, its the Transmission and that's a take it in job...!

Carl T

Threads
Unless the belt is cracked or a chunk missing go to this site and thread, there is a lot of reading but you can fix it sometimes by just changing the oil in the transaxle. Both of my L130's came out good as new with just an oil change and a fan replacement on one also.

TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

OldDeere

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is turning out to be a problem with JD in the last few day's on here, there are a few post been put up have a look at them, then have you look at the belt. if its not that, its the Transmission and that's a take it in job...!

Actually, it doesn't have to be a 'take it in' job if you are referring taking it to a dealer. Sure, you need to have some mechanical know how and tools, but the AM131580 transmission CAN be replaced by the home owner. Ok...........I personally wouldn't want to do it, but it can be done!

MBTRAC

Threads
Change the oil in the tranny quick before any consequential damage, at worst you've wasted a few $ on oil & time, at best you've fixed cheaply.

OldDeere

Forum Newbie
Threads
The transmissions are sealed unfortunately.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, it doesn't have to be a 'take it in' job if you are referring taking it to a dealer. Sure, you need to have some mechanical know how and tools, but the AM131580 transmission CAN be replaced by the home owner. Ok...........I personally wouldn't want to do it, but it can be done!

I did'nt say a home owner with the right tools and right know how could'nt replace one. but I would love to see a home owner take one apart and fix it without the help of someone who does know what he is doing, you said yourself you would'nt want to. You also say in you're last post that they are sealed. yes sealed for life they say, so why are there so many coming up with problems. surely thats a question owners should be asking John Deere. Some of us here are doing what they feel they can to help owners out with they're problems, not make more problems for them, do you feel it would better if people like myself just sit back and not answer any question/problems, because if we did this forum would'nt be as good as it is, now would it.

OldDeere

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow, I didn't realize I had stuck such a nerve. I sure didn't mean to. And I really don't know where your frustration or hostility is coming from!?! I merely said that it COULD be done by a homeowner, as I know 4 who have personally done it. I can't do it, but it CAN be done.

Yes, there is a big problem with this transmission, and I sure wish Deere would come out with a product improvement or recall on this, but as many hundreds (thousands?) of posts there are online on multiple sites about this problem it doesn't sound like they are willing to do anything about it, and that is unfortunate.

From what I've been told, replacing the AM131580 transmission is the only fix since it is sealed, and we all know that is very costly.

MBTRAC

Threads
Whilst lots of hyro tranny's are supposedly "sealed for life", it's usually quite easy to change the oil (by removing the transmission & emptying/refilling via filling via fillerneck/cap where the factory originally put the oil in - it's critical to use the correct oil & volume ).

A simple oil change can revitalise a so called "worn" tranny & extend its life if done as regular maintenance.

Purerock Racing

Forum Newbie
Threads
my L120 suddenly stopped moving forward or reverse after finishing my back lawn. All flat terrain... it was working fine with no problems for a year so far. Shut the mower off to open my gate, restarted and nothing. Seems like the shifter has no resistance anymore, almost like something got disconnected. I have no manual for it so I have no idea where to start? Anyone?