22 Ah batteries in CMM 1000?

Defilade

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I recently ordered new batteries for my CMM 1000 and based on the photo on the website I was expecting BB Battery 12v/17Ah batteries. What I ended up getting is is Powerstar 12v/22Ah batteries. I have concerns about using higher amperage batteries than the original...should I send these back or are they safe to use?

Thanks in advance!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
They will be OK just give you more power for (longer time) thats all.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Like EngineMan said... they will be fine... Actually they are Better than the ones you had.
Higher amperage batteries only have the Capability of giving more amperage, they will still deliver the amount needed as dictated by the circuit to what they are connected.
You actually have a 30 percent Better battery with the new ... :smile:KennyV

rscamp

Threads
There is a bit of confusion here. The Ampere-Hour rating is the measure of Capacity. It is only loosely related to the current delivery capability of the battery. Only current is measured in Amperes or Amps. Higher capacity batteries never have any detrimental effect on the operation of an electric power system.

The reality is, however, that if these "higher capacity" batteries are not as well constructed as the original batteries and have higher internal resistance for example, they won't provide any more run time and could even provide less. Battery quality is important!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
All I was trying to state was if it was 22Ah or 220Ah at 12 volts it will do the job that he want's it to do. in my mind 22 is better then 17.
And has regarding quality even the top end market one's will and often fail just like the low price one's.
These day's you get what you pay for, and more often then not its still *&^%t.

rscamp

Threads
All I was trying to state was if it was 22Ah or 220Ah at 12 volts it will do the job that he want's it to do. in my mind 22 is better then 17.
And has regarding quality even the top end market one's will and often fail just like the low price one's.
These day's you get what you pay for, and more often then not its still *&^%t.

My post wasn't directed at you at all. True enough, if all else is equal, 22Ah is better than 17Ah. My points were twofold based on previous posts:

1) Amps is not the same as Amp-Hours and these shouldn't be interchanged
2) Battery quality/construction can trump rated capacity when determining performance

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate that....!:smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Construction of the battery in question is likely very similar to the original, the intended application is the same. The only change was the Rating... (there are a few ways to increase the actual ampere hour)

The original posters Question was about the Safety in using a higher Rated... He is going to be safe using any higher amp Rated supply... & he should not be concerned about returning it.
any circuit will draw Only the amount current it was designed, (keeping the supply voltage the same).
There are different ways to measure the rating, but as to the quality of his new replacement, he likely Has a 30 percent Better battery. (some Battery technology is improving)... :smile:KennyV

rscamp

Threads
The Construction of the battery in question is likely very similar to the original, the intended application is the same. The only change was the Rating... (there are a few ways to increase the actual ampere hour)

The original posters Question was about the Safety in using a higher Rated... He is going to be safe using any higher amp Rated supply... & he should not be concerned about returning it.
any circuit will draw Only the amount current it was designed, (keeping the supply voltage the same).
There are different ways to measure the rating, but as to the quality of his new replacement, he likely Has a 30 percent Better battery. (some Battery technology is improving)... :smile:KennyV

Kenny. This is exactly the sort of error in terminology I was talking about. This replacement battery isn't a "...higher Amp Rated supply...". This would imply it was capable of delivering higher current. This is a battery with a higher capacity rating which, if all else is equal, is able to store more energy (i.e. it is a bigger 'fuel' tank).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is correct..
The current output of the battery would Not change in his application... He is not changing the load.

And with his New battery he has a battery that likely Has 30 percent better capacity... only a change in voltage or load will change the actual current...

I Think we are in agreement here, The only way I can see that the terminology could be in error is if we were discussing the use of a particular power supply in a different load.
The current stays the same in his case, it is going to be safe. :smile:KennyV