Craftsman model 917.272350 mower

mwoood

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the above riding mower with a 15.5 p Briggs. With a new fully charged battery it will turn over a few times without starting and drain the battery immediately. Any reason you can think of that this occurs?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the above riding mower with a 15.5 p Briggs. With a new fully charged battery it will turn over a few times without starting and drain the battery immediately. Any reason you can think of that this occurs?

Does it turnover and then the engine acts as if it locks up?

mwoood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had to think about that. Possibly, but more like no juice. Before it got to this point it would backfire then start.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had to think about that. Possibly, but more like no juice. Before it got to this point it would backfire then start.

The reason i ask is because sometimes on this engine it acts like an electrical problem but is actually a mechanical problem.
Could be that the decompressor is broken and will not allow engine to turn past compression stroke so when you turn key to start you get a click noise as if battery is flat.
Check valve clearances.

mwoood

Forum Newbie
Threads
That may be true, but If I hook the battery back to the charger it registers as dead.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
That may be true, but If I hook the battery back to the charger it registers as dead.

Could be severe amp draw from electrical system like starter motor.
You really need a multimeter to check all this.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Frist of all what do you mean by drain the battery? If that is what you are doing you have a battery problem. Seeing it a new battery its a good chance the battery its self isn't bad but not 100%. You say it fully charged but what is telling you this. Are you taking a hydrometer test? What is the battery voltage after its drained? If you still have good voltage after its drained start checking for bad connections or a bad starter.

mwoood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Frist of all what do you mean by drain the battery?If that is what you are doing you have a battery problem. Seeing it a new battery its a good chance the battery its self isn't bad but not 100%. You say it fully charged but what is telling you this. Are you taking a hydrometer test? What is the battery voltage after its drained? If you still have good voltage after its drained start checking for bad connections or a bad starter.

I have a 10 amp charger. When the battery is charged the guage on the reads 0. When it is not charged it reads 6 or higher. As it charges the needle falls from 6 or more to 0. No. I do not have that meter. Thanks

mwoood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Frist of all what do you mean by drain the battery?If that is what you are doing you have a battery problem. Seeing it a new battery its a good chance the battery its self isn't bad but not 100%. You say it fully charged but what is telling you this. Are you taking a hydrometer test? What is the battery voltage after its drained? If you still have good voltage after its drained start checking for bad connections or a bad starter.

I have a 10 amp charger. When the battery is charged the guage on the reads 0. When it is not charged it reads 6 or higher. As it charges the needle falls from 6 or more to 0. No. I do not have that meter. Thanks

I just went out to mow and it turned over once, backfired, and cranked right up.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you don't know if the battery is draining if you don't have a volt meter and hydrometer. You do have a new battery and a charger so a very good chance you don't have a battery problem and the battery not draining would be my guess. If you have checked all battery cable connections, cables, etc. you might want to check check your valve adjustment. If you don't have a volt meter you can buy one very cheap from Harbor freight and a cheap ball style hydrometer from most auto parts store. If you are going to get into any electrical or battery work they are very important tools. You can do a lot of test with just a simple test light if have nothing else. The best of luck