Front Wheels...

YardMonkey

Threads
Question: the front wheels on my Craftsman lawn tractor (6 years old) seem to be kind of "towed out" if that makes any sense. Pulled it out of shed today to cut the grass and I noticed that it did not turn in a circle, kind of in an oval....Is there a way I can adjust them back to straight?

Don't recall hitting anything the last time I cut with it, so this is a mystery to me....:eek::eek:

T J Blazek

Threads
I had 2 Craftsman riders; both had similar problems. On one the tie rod connector was bad. On the other it turned out to be a bad steering wheel shaft. The gear on the shaft was wore enough to not make the wheel turn enough. I did also have excessive play in the steering wheel. If this helps; if you have to change that shaft; sandpaper all the paint off; it will slide in easier. Good luck! T.

Bob E

Threads
Worn out bushings in the front wheels might cause it too. Lift the front end and if there is a lot of play in a wheel or both you probably need to replace worn out stuff.
You should be able to adjust the tie rod like on a car. Shorter for toe out. Longer for toe in. If the rod is bent hammer it as straight as you can. Here's the recommended toe in measurement for my MTD.

toein_zpse767d97c.jpg

metz12

Threads
Worn out bushings in the front wheels might cause it too. Lift the front end and if there is a lot of play in a wheel or both you probably need to replace worn out stuff.
You should be able to adjust the tie rod like on a car. Shorter for toe out. Longer for toe in. If the rod is bent hammer it as straight as you can. Here's the recommended toe in measurement for my MTD.

toein_zpse767d97c.jpg

exactly what i was going to say. i also would put some brass, aluminum, or even steel bushings in there. they will just not wear out as quick the plastic ones.