Why chose a Ferris?

dria

Threads
What are some things about a Ferris mower that would make you want to buy it? What are some things that might make you not want to buy it. In other words what are the pros and cons?

Bethieboo

Threads
Ferris mowers have an independent suspension which is a pro for many owners. They have the same engine that the scag has. They also have about the same price. But yeah the all wheel suspension is a plus.

dria

Threads
What is the benefit of having suspension on all four wheels. In what ways does that effect the mower and its performance? What are some of the other pros and cons?

DakotaMM

Threads
Well it means that you are going to have a much smoother ride. Some say it also makes for a more even cut but I do not know if that is necessarily the case.

Carl_NH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I chose the Ferris for;
1. Ride Comfort
2. Build Quality
3. Price $7K new

Most of the commercial guys I know have the Scag or Exmark - they are simple durable mowers and all ZTR will cut grass very well when they are properly setup.

I have a lawn that is reclaimed forest with topsoil added, so has dips and protruding ledge here and there so I wanted a smooth machine that could raise/lower quickly and also was built well. My other choice was the Kubota ZD328 but that was too $$$..

sduncan000

Threads
I chose my Ferris because of reviews on sites like this and specifically the suspension since I have very rough ground in many spots and also because I have no hills to worry about :thumbsup:

My choice mainly was between Ferris and Bobcat with a slight interest in Badboy.

The local Badboy dealer quit carrying them.
Bobcat dealer was 25 minutes away.
Ferris dealer was 10 minutes away in town. Plus he gave me a great deal!

Kingwood990

Threads
I ran a Ferris IS3000 with the 31 horse Kohler and the 61 inch deck for about 30 minutes and I loved it. These mowers cut great and ride even better.:thumbsup:

sduncan000

Threads
I ran a Ferris IS3000 with the 31 horse Kohler and the 61 inch deck for about 30 minutes and I loved it. These mowers cut great and ride even better.:thumbsup:

That is true - what used to take me 10 hours on my old Craftsman 42" now takes about 3.5 hours.
If this rain ever lets up, I can get out there and do some mowin'!

vapoppa

Forum Newbie
Threads
because IMHO this is the best most durable mower ever. i've had three and with a wore out bqck i can't take getting pounded for 5 hrs. expensive---- ye---- so are good tools but quality isn't expensive --- it's priceless---mase

sduncan000

Threads
"quality isn't expensive --- it's priceless"

Absolutely.

I heard this motto years ago, just didn't listen then.
"Buy the BEST you can afford".

I firmly believe that in the long run, you will end up paying less overall.