Grasshopper mower battery issues

henry

Threads
What do you do if your Grasshopper mower battery keeps going dead. Does a Grasshopper have an alternator or does it use something different? Any help appreciated!

173abn

Threads
henry,what mower do you have?I had a battery issue that turned out to be a worn out battery.I replaced it and haven't had a problem. Sometimes it's a short that can drain your bat.could be a bad alternator.the alt. should be charging at 13 v.check the pos. batt. cable to make sure it's not touching the frame where it bolts into the pos. side of the batt. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also what engine is in your mower?
With that info several here can point you in the right direction...:smile:KennyV

MowTown

Threads
Either the battery is not able to take the charge, or some component in the charging system is faulty. I think I would take it to any lawn mower repair shop and have them troubleshoot it----especially if it's still under warranty.

Black Bart

Threads
My 725 with the Kubota engine eats voltage regulators I spent so much on them that I gave up and just used a little float charger to keep the battery up while it was parked it would recharge the battery and while I mow it runs on the battery.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
internal regulator, OR external..... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
Kenny my GH is over 20 years old it has a external solid state regulator and they are way too expensive, much more than for a car.
I'm going to sell it and it will become someone else's problem. :smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can switch to an alternator with an internal VR for less than $50...You will have to do just a little wiring change at the alternator and remove the external VR...
I replaced my alternator about 5 years ago, before I discovered how easy & economical the change to an internal alternator will be... My next change will be internal, on my Kubota engine.. :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
You can switch to an alternator with an internal VR for less than $50...You will have to do just a little wiring change at the alternator and remove the external VR...
I replaced my alternator about 5 years ago, before I discovered how easy & economical the change to an internal alternator will be... My next change will be internal, on my Kubota engine.. :smile:KennyV

That would be a cheap alternative I paid about $150 for a external regulator went through several of them before I said to hell with it and just ran it on the battery.

I plan on getting rid of it for my lawn my new Z Trak is much better.

Years ago the GH was nice but since I bought it we put up a Greenhouse several flower beds and flowers nearly everywhere and the GH is to wide and waaay too long.

I had a lot of hand work after mowing with the GH but now all I really need is a string trimmer for the tiny bit that I can not get with my new JD-ZTR.

48 inch wheelbase VS 12 feet BIG difference.

mnicholson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Years ago the GH was nice but since I bought it we put up a Greenhouse several flower beds and flowers nearly everywhere and the GH is to wide and waaay too long.

I totally understand you, I had the same problem. I arranged some nice flower beds last spring with tulips and roses and I got the flowers from an online flowers free delivery and then I had problems to use my latest GH mower.
I bought a new one then which is better for my needs.

But I had luck that I never had any problems with the battery :)