Bought 4 for $2500

Zeroturn

Threads
My father in law and hubby bought 4 Allis Chalmers for $2500. They have since fixed 2 and sold them both for $1800 each. We have numerous calls about the others ones. I should say they are tractors not lawn mowers. We lost a couple of sales because the people wanted hydraulic lifts and they didn't have those. I would say it was a good investment.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good used equipment is always worth owning...:smile:KennyV

henry

Threads
Wow that is a good investment. If you are handy when it comes to working one a mower there is defiantly some money that could be made. Never a bad thing to make a little bit of money.

adan

Threads
Amazing! It now appears to me that a good resale value should be a criteria for investing on a lawn mower. I'm most keen about ride-on lawn mowers.

pebbles

Threads
That's a very good investment, you should easily triple your money if you can get the other 2 to sell for a similar price. Were they purchased at an auction or a clearance sale?

Rawlings

Threads
Excellent news. I wish my hubby was handier, this would be a great hobby. If they enjoy tinkering and can make a profit out of it then more power to them.

lizard

Threads
My father in law and hubby bought 4 Allis Chalmers for $2500. They have since fixed 2 and sold them both for $1800 each. We have numerous calls about the others ones. I should say they are tractors not lawn mowers. We lost a couple of sales because the people wanted hydraulic lifts and they didn't have those. I would say it was a good investment.

What were they.......AC 7040..........7080...........or what a old D21 Allis Chalmers...Hello?:eek:

Rustaholic

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1968 B-210 and a Simplicity that looks just like it.
Both of them have hydraulic lift for their attachments.
Each one came with Mower Deck, Snow Thrower, Tiller and Snow Blade.
The B-210 also came with a Sickle Bar Mower.
Yes, They truly are Garden Tractors.

upupandaway

Threads
Amazing! It now appears to me that a good resale value should be a criteria for investing on a lawn mower. I'm most keen about ride-on lawn mowers.

This i beg to differ. as much as i enjoy being a grease monkey, usually DO NOT look at it as an investment. Economics almost always make something that needs work more expensive than getting one that doesn't. Ex. a Farmall was sitting along a street where i grew up and homes were built all around it. I looked up just a rebuild kit and it was more than 1 listed for sale in excellent shape.
Or my 60's Snowbird blower that trying to sell it, didnt get me 50% of the paint expense. lucky i used a paint booth for free.

but once in a blue moon, u do get a steal. Recently i got a stihl HS75 for $40 (just needed splice spark cable) and the seller unloaded a few trimmers along with it. So far i am net +$90 after simple clean carb/fuel hose OK and sold on ebay with a few more to sell.

In other words dont lie to yourself- it is only worth what someone else will pay for item, time and labor and unless u have another u, dont bet on getting your money back. Just enjoy your toys.