Stihl HS45 hedgecutter vibration problem

Phoenix_krs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a HS45 and have only used it a few times, unfortunately I cut through a metal wire fencing today which I didn't spot and now the cutter has started vibrating excessively and doesn't sound too good.

Does anyone know what damage may have been done and if this is an easy repair??

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

You May have bent or cracked a cutter blade.... look close at the cutter bar, is anything interfering with the reciprocation action? If the blade assembly is cracked you may need to replace it.
The worst case problem may be in the gear box, something internal may be bent or broken... check the external parts first... :smile:KennyV

Phoenix_krs

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

You May have bent or cracked a cutter blade.... look close at the cutter bar, is anything interfering with the reciprocation action? If the blade assembly is cracked you may need to replace it.
The worst case problem may be in the gear box, something internal may be bent or broken... check the external parts first... :smile:KennyV

Hi Kenny - many thanks for your reply! I suspected gearbox damage but now you have mentioned the blade I've taken a closer look and there is indeed a kink in the blade where it cut through the wire - I'm hoping this is the cause of the vibration. I'm going to attempt to grind this down over the next few days and get it flat and see what happens. If it fails then I know its more likely to be the gearbox and I'll get a dealer to have a look at it. Its a major pain as the cutter has only been used 3 times!!

Thanks again for your help!

Phoenix_krs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ground down the kinked blade over the weekend and this is now purring like a kitten again! Its amazing what you can do with a dremel multi-tool :tongue:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for posting back with your fix...
Nothing like a do it yourself repair.... :smile:KennyV

S Haase

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a HS45 and have only used it a few times, unfortunately I cut through a metal wire fencing today which I didn't spot and now the cutter has started vibrating excessively and doesn't sound too good.

Does anyone know what damage may have been done and if this is an easy repair??

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
I will look into this...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mr. H. Do you realize that this thread is 6 years old. I think the problem has been solved by now.