second hand mower

Honey

Threads
Is $500 too much to pay for an older John Deere Ride on mower, I found one on Craigslist and was going to go look at it but wanted to know if it was worth my time. It seems like an older model but looks to be in decent shape.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you recall what model it is?
If it is in decent shape... you have to consider what type of mower you can buy with that much $.... :smile:KennyV

Mac 624

Threads
not really helpfull, but in Germany every JD Mower in working condition, didnエt matter what shape, will be sold in a hurry, if it would only cost 500 USD.

cheapest MTD side discharging, 1300 USD, new

Rasentraktoren mit Seitenauswurf - MotorLand.net

with rear discharching and bag 1683 USD, new

Rasentraktoren von 74-90 cm Schnittbreite - MotorLand.net

If I compare to a side discharger at Homedepot:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

which is awfully cheap with appr. 1100 Euro, it makes no sense to buy a used one.

PS: IN Germany JD mowers only can be bought at JD Dealerships.

Last edited:

Rawlings

Threads
Don't forget that you have to fix transportation for it from the seller to wherever you are. That will add something to the overall costings. Buying anything used is a risk but it could well be worth taking if you really want it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is $500 too much to pay for an older John Deere Ride on mower, I found one on Craigslist and was going to go look at it but wanted to know if it was worth my time. It seems like an older model but looks to be in decent shape.

Chances are and this is just my opinion, if it's on Craigslist it probably isn't worth what there asking. You can find an occasional deal now and then but most of the time you're buying another persons problems or they wouldn't be selling it.

Honey

Threads
1998 John Deere LT155, this is the model, says he will deliver within 50 miles for another $50. Maybe I will get one of my guy friends to go check it out, the picture makes it look nice...

Usedtorent

Threads
Heck I think it's a good deal. Why would something be not worth it because it's on craigslist? I sell things on craigslist a lot. $500 is not a lot for a riding mower, especially a Johnny. It's worth a look at anyway.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
1998 John Deere LT155, this is the model, says he will deliver within 50 miles for another $50. Maybe I will get one of my guy friends to go check it out, the picture makes it look nice...

If in any running condition it is worth the asking price...
Have one of your guy friends just bring it back with him after he looks at it...
Second Hand is almost ALWAYS going to be worth getting...

I am also with Usedtorent..
CraigsList is an excellent source for great bargains:thumbsup:
... Honey hope you Get many comfortable miles on your new to you rider...:smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Heck I think it's a good deal. Why would something be not worth it because it's on craigslist? I sell things on craigslist a lot. $500 is not a lot for a riding mower, especially a Johnny. It's worth a look at anyway.

Craigslist has nothing to do with it. Were talking about a twelve year old mower that probably has a ton of hours on the motor and if it's all original is going to start nickel and dim-en you to death and anyone who thinks he or she is going to buy a twelve year old mower and not pay for repairs of some nature isn't thinking clearly. Just think about, if it's all original chances are a lot of things need replacing or will need replacing in the very near future like decks, spindles, belts and so on which you could easily drop another 5 to 8 hundred dollars on, a deck alone could run $3 or $4 hundred and god knows how what condition motor or the drive system is in and you sure can't really tell by driving the thing around the block. In the end you could easily have a $1k to $15 hundred dollars investment in a $500 dollar twelve year old mower and you'll never be able to get that money back. :rolleyes: To me the figures just don't add up when I could go to Lowes and buy a JD mower new for $1599 and not have all the headaches.

adan

Threads
$500 for a ride on mower isn't much, I think, even in my country. Del Monte uses many of those ride on mowers for the central plaza, which has two soccer fields, two baseball diamonds and thrice more space besides.

I don't know how big the lawns are in Germany. But buying a brand new one for home use at thrice the cost is something I would think about a lot. If you like to tinker with engines and gadgets anyway, a second hand unit should do.