Honda carburetor leak

bnerbas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2 yr old Craftsman mower with a 160cc Honda engine. Stupid me :frown: drained my gas jug and I think I poured bad/dirty/waterlogged gas into the tank. Drained the tank and put in clean gas, but I habe gas running out of the the carburetor. I don;tknow too much about the construction of small engines, but I suspect there is dirt in a needle valve or something and the gas keeps running out somewhere. I pulled the 2 bolts out of the air filter holder in order to have a better look, not realizing that they also held on the entire carb assembly. I think I got it back together OK, but the gas is still running out (shutoff valve is closed now...)

Anyways, does anyone have some tips on how to access the float/needle valve - assuming that is the problem...? Or any thoughts on what else it could be? I did get one pass around my lawn with thenew gas, but stopped to attach the grass chute, and now can't get it going again.

Thanks for your help.
Brad

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like that is your problem, but the only way to solve it is to remove the carb, clean and install a new needle and seat. If you don't feel comfortable working on the carb, go to a repair shop, as you may end up there anyway.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The carb itself isn't too tricky to pull off and install, but can be trouble to tear apart and properly clean. Lots of small bits, and you must really get everything apart, completely cleaned, and properly assembled perfectly to make it work. "Plan B" would be just to buy a whole new carburetor; depending on the engine, this might be as cheap as $30; call a dealer and check it out.

I have American Honda resources for this engine, but see you are in Canada. I might be able to cross-reference some service information; can you get me the serial number off the side of the engine block? It is in the form of GXXXX-1234567

tyjoja

Threads
second what Robert said I have bought honda carbs cheep on the web and they come all set. bolt it on and ready to go.

roadster5580

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some Honda carbs are built like a Walbro carb on a Kohler and have a 10mm hex bolt holding the bowl to the bottom of the carb. It usually sits straight up and down. If you see a hex head at an angle, that's usually the bowl drain and won't drop the bowl. There is some small debris (probably a rust flake, or sand) on the float needle that is keeping it from sealing on the float seat. Disconnect the fuel line. Drop the bowl off. The float needle will drop down from the seat with the bowl removed. Blow compressed air into the open fuel inlet to clean the debris off the needle/seat. You can use a can of carb cleaner with a "straw" on the nozzle. If you don't have a compressor, I've used small can of compressed air that you use to clean a computer keyboard. Clean the fuel bowl out and reinstall. It works 99% of the time on carburetors with the single bolt holding the bowl onto the body. Be sure to change the fuel filter, or you might be repeating the process and thinking I steered you wrong. Don't try this on a Briggs/Walbro….. You'll blow the tiny rubber seat into the here after and the steel needle will never seal on the brass seat. Ask me how I know?