How long do they last?

Black Bart

Threads
You must be very careful & particular about your fuel... and you will get many thousands of hours with a diesel...
They have no tolerance for gasoline or any drying additive to the fuel... You have to separate the water that may incorporate in the diesel... And you have to have a bit of lube added to today's ultra low sulfur fuel... (2 percent bio is the best for lube)...

With just a little vigilance to fuel you will get incredible trouble free service from a diesel... :smile:KennyV
I have a 1985 JD 430 Diesel and I have done nothing but put diesel fuel in it for 26 years without a problem.

Before retiring I was in the trucking business for 42 years never had a pump problem.

Think what you may but the pump on my Kubota was either defective or a poor design to fail at such low hours.

My problem with the Kubota diesel was waaay before low sulfur fuel.
On a side note Cummins recommends NOT ADDING anything to the fuel. I have had them run a million miles without rebuilding the pump or the engine.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Things can & do go wrong...
I have had decades of great cat, kubota and perkins injector pump service...
Prior to low/ultra fuels I rarely used any additive...

Within the last couple years I have seen multiple injector pump failures on a Cummins in a P/U... replaced many lift pumps @ injector pumps... Then started using 2 to 20 percent bio... no more failures... yet.

Only had one kubota IP failure, it had a large dose of gasoline ran into it... big pump and injector problems, from that incident... It was on a very low hour kubota ....

I have seen Cat and Cummins handle gasoline without any noticeable effect... not kubota... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
Things can & do go wrong...
I have had decades of great cat, kubota and perkins injector pump service...
Prior to low/ultra fuels I rarely used any additive...

Within the last couple years I have seen multiple injector pump failures on a Cummins in a P/U... replaced many lift pumps @ injector pumps... Then started using 2 to 20 percent bio... no more failures... yet.

Only had one kubota IP failure, it had a large dose of gasoline ran into it... big pump and injector problems, from that incident... It was on a very low hour kubota ....

I have seen Cat and Cummins handle gasoline without any noticeable effect... not kubota... :smile:KennyV
I have an ole 6.9 harvester that I had the new seals put in the pump when they went to the low sulufur fuel.

People who have the ole engines with the old type seals need to convert them or use something to lub them but my problem with the Kubota was back in the mid eighties, NO low sulfur fuel back then.