How long do they last?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it matters if you service your machine regularly and with the good oil........and it will last that bit longer than someone who runs it into the ground!:ashamed:

Also along with good oil... Change it completely at LEAST once a year.
I have known folks that have has engine failure tell me that they don't know why they have problems with small engines... they always check the oil and add some when it is low.... but usually when asked how often they drained it, to tut in fresh ... never...

If you want to keep it dependable, you have to do your part to keep it that way... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
they always check the oil and add some when it is low.... but usually when asked how often they drained it, to tut in fresh ... never...

That practice of adding and not changing seems so foolish when you consider most 6 hp and smaller use less than a quart. At 2.50-4.00$ a quart once a year......:mad:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That practice of adding and not changing seems so foolish when you consider most 6 hp and smaller use less than a quart. At 2.50-4.00$ a quart once a year......:mad:

foolish ... YES,
But there are those that never give it a thought... then when something fails they wonder why they always have bad luck with mechanical things...

I know folks that never change their transmission fluid, engine coolant, brake fluid or power steering fluids, in their cars and trucks... ALL of which need changing... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
Your servicing of any machine is the key to longevity, but some people have this attitude.....'If it ain't Broke why fix it!:ashamed:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your servicing of any machine is the key to longevity, but some people have this attitude.....'If it ain't Broke why fix it!:ashamed:

:laughing:Ha ha:laughing:... your right and eventually it will be broke & then it can be fixed... OR replaced... an expensive way to do things, for sure... :smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
Besides maintence....some people tend to overwork or labour their machinery, this can lead to an expensive break down or a complete failure beyond repair.
Buy something bigger than you really need, then it will last longer and you will be happy not dissapointed!:eek:

zsqure

Threads
How long do they last? My grandfather has a model 1210 that was built in 1986 I think. It is still going strong and I have a 720k from 1995. For residential they are great. cut my 1/2 acre in 20 minutes' can't complain. Not quite as fast when pushing snow' the steiner will out work it.

rfullon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just recently purchased a 93 718K that has 782 hours on it. It has been repowered with a 20hp Kohler that had 0 hours on it when I purchased it. I paid $2400 and got a new set of deck belts as well as a set of blades. I had to go thru and check grease points and replace the ignition swith, $8 at my local dealer. This thing mows great my yard looks wonderful and I expect it will last me for many more years to come.

Black Bart

Threads
I hope you guys have better luck with your diesel than I did with mine.
880 hours is started smoking bad. I took it to the dealer and was told it needed new injectors that cost me nearly $400.00 when I got it home and tried to mow with it the thing looked like a freight train with all the smoke.

I called them and was told I needed the pump rebuilt and that would be $1200.00
I knew for that much money I could completely rebuild a gas engine so I took it to another dealer and traded it on a new 725 with a water cooled Gas powered Kubota it has 1245 hours and other than voltage regulators it has been great but it keeps burning regulators up right and left at 150 Bucks a pop.

I bought a new John Deere so I'm going to sell the 725 GH, hours are getting high and it will start costing me so I will pass it on and let someone else spend money on it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You must be very careful & particular about your fuel... and you will get many thousands of hours with a diesel...
They have no tolerance for gasoline or any drying additive to the fuel... You have to separate the water that may incorporate in the diesel... And you have to have a bit of lube added to today's ultra low sulfur fuel... (2 percent bio is the best for lube)...

With just a little vigilance to fuel you will get incredible trouble free service from a diesel... :smile:KennyV