Engine oil

polly

Threads
I was told that shell totella t6 synthetic is the right oil for all small engines. Using it in my z465 right now as well as my la140. Am i doing the right thing. Please and ty for your info.--paul

possum

Threads
I think that is all KENNYv runs in everything he has, gas or deisel. The current popular thing seems to be HDEO and synthetic in multiviscosity for 4 cycle OPE on this forum if you want the best or better than average at least. On other forums it can vary but T6 or Mobile 1 is very popular. Just a few years back the big fad seemed to be HDEO in 15w40. I live in a small town, i have talked to many people, only one uses a synthetic oil. Every lawn tech i have talked to uses 30 weight in the summer, will put in 10w30 if you ask for it. They pretty much think oil is oil. Just for giggles I asked 8 people in one day at random what kind of oil was in their lawntractors, all 8 were useing plain oil 30 weight. Another time i asked 6 people, 4 women and 2 men what oil they used in their push mower. The two men had no idea other than the oil that came with it. Two of the women said the mower had oil in it already, they saw the man from the store put the oil in. One woman said she did not know, she added from some old bottles that were in the shed when her husband left her for a younger woman. One woman proudly announced she used STP 10w30 from Dollar General and changed it every single year. The one fellow I know who used 10w30 Mobile 1 said he changed it every three years. When I asked him if He thought this oil had enough zddp in it he replied Mobile 1 had no such thing and did not need it whatever it was. One other fellow told me his lawnmower deck was so slick because he used Penzoil with moly, said it blew out the muffler and penetrated the paint. My 89 year old neighbor has told me 30 times that Mobile 30 weight was the best oil made since he began to use it this year on his old rider. Poor guy is so blind he cannot see that the oil he bought is 0w30, not 30. I think you are ahead of the general population, no worries.

jetta

Threads
as i understand it, there is no zinc in straight wt oil anymore do you add zinc?

Lawn Addict
Threads
You want Zinc, Shell Rotella T-4 (15w-40), has over 1,200ppm of zinc, excellent for solid lifter engines. & it meets JASO M & MA standards.

John R

Threads
Shell Rotella also makes a straight 30wt oil.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shell Rotella also makes a straight 30wt oil.

Yes they do, but after speaking directly to Shell, they informed me they could NOT recommend the straight 30w for my air cooled Kawasaki, since it has very little ZDDP (zinc)..

Their ph # is on a jug of their oil to verify, if needed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
as i understand it, there is no zinc in straight wt oil anymore do you add zinc?

So why the hell do you think B & S , Kohler , Honda , Kawasaki and every other engine maker plus the aftermarket engine parts companies get oil specially blended to suit the engines.
Zinc has been removed from AUTO OIL not MOWER OIL

So no you are totally wrong there is still zinc in SOME oils, just not what you buy from Walmart for use in cars.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is the reason I use Valvoline VR1 oil
"Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil: Contains 75% higher zinc than SN or SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and traditional applications. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40 and straight 60.
Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter."

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I often wonder why people who know absolutely nothing about oils are hell bent on using anything else but the oils that are specially formulated for air cooled small engines that get occasional use.
As a person who builds race engines you would have a better than average understanding of oil than most on this list but please remember, 99% of those here have no idea apart from the total B S they see on TV adds.
While the racing oil will not hurt your mower engine, it does not have the anticorrosion package and water dispersal properties of mower oil .
Racing oil is designed to run under extreme conditions usually for very short periods ( 1 session ) the get drained & replaced with the storeage oil or fresh oil after each race.
It is also designed for use in a controlled temperature enviroment on a water cooled engine with a radiator and temperature control system that manages engine temperatures to a very fine degree.

After mower oil the next best thing to run is air cooled motorcycle oil, in particular the "enduro oils".

Or working on the KISS principle ,the same oil you use in your car /truck and changed very often.