Engine oil

upupandaway

Threads
I love it (especially on youtube) where people say you must use xyz super oil from unicorn poop (that's why it is purple i guess). My "newest" car is 17years old (190Kmiles), my mowers are from the 80's, had snowblowers from the 60's, had a 70's bobcat - all using plain dino oil in original motors.

The people who tell me im using the wrong stuff have a 2 year old car and new riding mower...
Moral of the story- any respectable oil brand name and you can't go wrong.

ps- boobala, do u have Theresa's phone #???

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love it (especially on youtube) where people say you must use xyz super oil from unicorn poop (that's why it is purple i guess). My "newest" car is 17years old (190Kmiles), my mowers are from the 80's, had snowblowers from the 60's, had a 70's bobcat - all using plain dino oil in original motors.

The people who tell me im using the wrong stuff have a 2 year old car and new riding mower...
Moral of the story- any respectable oil brand name and you can't go wrong.

ps- boobala, do u have Theresa's phone #???

I did, but so many guys were callin her to "hit" on her ( I assume) that she got an unlisted number on her land-line, and bought a new cell-phone and uses a encrypted number .... :laughing:..:laughing:

SidecarFlip

Threads
As a rule, I never post on oil threads because people will say I'm nutz but been doing this for decades...

My drain oil from my cars and farm tractors gets 'recycled' through my small engines and then finally recycled in an oil furnace. Never has an issue reusing oil. Always Rotella synthetic 5-40 too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well ain't that funny.
Had a friend with a 60's motorcycle which of course filtered the oil via a sludge trap & setteling tank.
HE did the exact opposite.
When he got home from a ride he lubed the chain then drained the oil.
What came out was visibly clean looking and he kept it in a can when he had accrued 2 gallons he used it to change the oil in his truck.
Bottom ends on his bike were suppose to be serviced at 30,000 mile intervals, his was on the way out when he bought the bike , he put another 80,000 on it a sold it on when he gave up motorcycling in the same condition as when he bought it.

HE was a very practical man & as he used to say
Oil is the cheapest & easiest part you can put into your engine.
30 oil changes = a gasket set
40 oil changes = a set of rings
210 oil changes = bottom end rebuild

annashetty

Forum Newbie
Threads
My "newest" car is 17years old (190Kmiles), my mowers are from the 80's, had snowblowers from the 60's, had a 70's bobcat - all using plain dino oil in original motors.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just wish there was a site that actually lists the additives in off road type oils. Meeting or exceeding an earlier version of a certain oil doesn't tell anything these days. Current API SN oil is not the right stuff for some older engines regardless of what the label says.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tom the addatives are all $ 10 words so mean very little to anyone other than Petrolium chemists and I doubt if more than 1/2 of them could decipher them and of those who could less than 1/2 could tell you what they do.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads

And I don't really see any info on the additive package but I do see the API SN designation. And I just bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug of the stuff. Can't win.

I changed the oil in my John Deere rider this spring, Kohler Vtwin, used Valvoline 10w30 and started smelling oil burning when I would pull in the shed after mowing, never smelled that before. Changed it quickly to the Rotella 15w40, still smell the oil burning. I had been using Kohler 10w30 before, looking to go cheap. That's what I get. Going back to Kohler oil when I can get to it.