2004 Murray 387002X92 Issues.

x-angel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all... first post here....

As the title indicates, I have a 2004 Murray 387002X92 (38" Murray, from Wal-Mart) - have a few issues. (It also has the 21A707-0223-E1 - Briggs and Stratton Engine)

All of a sudden, the mower started losing power when you put the blades on - I thought it was the carb - and so I replaced the Walbro carb the the Nikki that superseded the Walbro. (needed to be serviced anyway, so just got a new one. )

I also dropped the mow deck to check the bearings. The Bearings looked and sounded fine, but the right blade had the living crap bent out of it. So I replaced both blades.

When I put everthing back together - it would barely idle. I tried all the different methods to adjust the carb, but no joy. Ocassionally.. just ocassionally, it would rev up really high, but as soon as you engaged the blades - it would die.

Now one thing that is a problem that I have NOT changed is the starting solenoid. I have to use a screw drive to jump the posts, and get the starter to crank. Also - the kill switch WAS by passed.. I did hook it back up, and the kill switch is not - well - killing anything.

I have heard different ways on adjusting the carb, but none of them seem to work - the Spark is brand new, and so is the fuel filter.

I am thinking the solenoid might be the actual culprit....

So any suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Thanks

Eric - San Antonio, TX

Last edited:

Mwh0428

Threads
Do you have the vacuum powered fuel pump or just gravity feed. Another thing to check would be the fuel lines.

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you say its losing power does it cut out or keep running?
If it cuts out then probably a safety switch.
If it keeps running then possibly sounds like a head gasket or valve problem.