Steering Drag Link and Charging System Question

Berniebac

Threads
I was driving my tractor testing the brake adjustment that I had just completed when the main steering drag link broke. The ball popped out of the joint. See attached pictures. Is there a way to repair this or do I have to find a new one? Where would I look for a new one for a 30 year old tractor?

Also, I just installed a new battery and thought I would check the charging system. With the engine idling, or revved to half throttle all I get on my meter is 12.64 Volts. I thought I read where it should be above 13 Volts. Is that correct or will I be OK at 12.64?

Thanks

Attachments

• DragLink1.JPG
    DragLink1.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DragLink2.JPG
    DragLink2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 9

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will have to get a new drag link. the ball joint is not replaceable on that unit. What is the voltage when the mower is just sitting while shut off. compare that number to what you are getting while running. If the same or lower, then you have a charging problem. The number seems low but as long as the battery doesn't go dead, and won't start the mower, then there is probably not a problem.

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks, I will check the voltage tomorrow. Too bad for my drag link. I am worried about getting a new one given the age of the tractor. Not sure of a local supplier either. Will see if I can find one though.

Berniebac

Threads
I checked my voltage with the mower not running and I got 12.61 volts. It looks as if it is not charging. My manual and parts diagram do not provide any details on the charging system. Any advice on how to repair it? It is a Briggs 8 hp Mod 191707 Type 5827-01 Code 82091011. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't tell from the IPL which stator that you have on your engine. Can you give a description of the wires that are coming out of the stator.

fastback

Threads
Bernie, I have mentioned in a few post that there is a way to repair the drag link if you have access to a weldor. Re-insert the ball back into the hole and get a flat washer the will fit on the stud. You will need to cut a slot out of the washer so it will slip between the ball and the stud while covering the hole now all you need so is weld, braze or maybe silver solder the washer in place. This fix wll last indefinitely.

Berniebac

Threads
All I can see is one red wire coming out that has a white connector on it and that leads to the ignition switch. It seems to me that someone has added some heat shrink tube to the engine side of that connector and I'd almost swear the wire is broken at the end of the heat shrink. May have been an attempt at a fix in the past.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bernie, I have mentioned in a few post that there is a way to repair the drag link if you have access to a weldor. Re-insert the ball back into the hole and get a flat washer the will fit on the stud. You will need to cut a slot out of the washer so it will slip between the ball and the stud while covering the hole now all you need so is weld, braze or maybe silver solder the washer in place. This fix will last indefinitely.

This is what I have done on many over the year's, apart from that I just cut the flat washer in half and then leaving about a 1mm around the stud (for movement) and then weld it to the bar...! well tag it.
Don't forget to put some grease on the bull after fitting.
Re Charging System put a test to the stator coil, and then have a look at the regulator.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 140000, 170000, and 190000 had a in line fuse in the alternator assembly have a look for that.

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks for the additional posts in response to my questions. I don't have a welder, but do have a friend who might do it for me. I will take the solution to him. I will also look for a fuse, would it be under the fly wheel or accessible outside the engine. There is a white coupler on a wire coming out of the engine but I think that holds a diode or rectifier or something like that. I'll snoop around a little this morning to see what I can see.