Time to dig trench

Hoss

Threads
I have 100', 50', 45' and 85' of trenching to do for some downspout drainage. It's an easy straight shot with no obstacles. Any idea on how much time it would take just to trench? This is my first time trenching, so I'm not too familiar with the time it would take.

rmancini

Threads
Are you talking about by hand?
I'd sure be thinking about renting a "Ditch Witch".
Here, they are $150 / day plus $25 delivery/pick-up charge.
Sure beats busting your a#$.
Rich

173abn

Threads
Hoss, I hand dug a water line a couple yrs. back going into my greenhouse that was 50 ft long and 7ft. deep .It was that deep because I was going into a basement under my greenhouse.It took me the better part of a summer to do because I went through a lot of rock.I don't think I would do it again by hand,getting too old for that kinda work.What kind of soil do you have?I would think as Rich stated a DitchWitch would be the way to go. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hoss, I hand dug a water line ... 50 ft long and 7ft. deep ... took me the better part of a summer... went through a lot of rock. I don't think I would do it again by hand,getting too old for that kinda work.

WOW russ that makes me ache just thinking about it....
It's a lot of work using a back hoe going that deep.

With almost 300 feet , I agree... "I'd sure be thinking about renting a Ditch Witch"...
:smile:KennyV

ted

Threads
Ack! by hand? That would be nuts at any level. I leave the digging by paw to my dog, there is no way I am young enough for that anymore. I need some help I guess, getting up there in age and all.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any idea on how much time it would take just to trench? This is my first time trenching, so I'm not too familiar with the time it would take.

Look around and tell me if you see a lot of rocks. Rocks make a big difference in digging time. Where I live there are very few, I have no idea about Nevada.
While you are looking for rocks, look for trees too. Trees have roots and roots are a dirty word when digging any type of hole. The good thing about trees is... your digging in the shade:tongue:.
I once rented a device called a ground saw. I dug 300' of trench in less than 2 hours. The trench was 21/2" wide and 12 " deep. I was installing a new water line form the well to the house. It was all I needed because frost is not an issue here. I back filled with my foot and followed up with a hose. 3 weeks later you could not tell where the trench was.
The device was gasoline operated and could not have worked better for me. If you have rocks then you have problems

jacko

Threads
We had to dig a trench for drainage that was about 30ft long and average in width. It took about 10 hours to finish with two men who were both in really good shape (body builder type guys). That is a total of about 20 man hours. There were quite a few tree stumps and roots to deal with though. I would recommend against digging a trench by hand.