Weeds, Weeds, Weeds

RockHound

Threads
How do you start to conquer weeds when weeds are all you have? If I were to spray weed killer on my lawn, I'd not have anything to mow. Between the dandelion, crab grass, dogbane, violets and other weeds that make up my lawn, I hav very little grass. But it has to be mowed too I guess.:smile:

BlueGrass

Threads
I hear you about the dandelions. I seem to have more this year than last year. I've tried pulling, and spraying them out and I've even tried a couple strange ideas from the internet, like spraying weeds with vinegar. My yard is looking more like a jungle than a yard.

Attachments

• mole.JPG
    mole.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 27
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 78
  • My Kubota.jpg
    My Kubota.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 3

canoeks

Forum Newbie
Threads
the first step is to get the soil in shape, have you taken a soil sample? most weeds tolerate a poorer soil than "good" grasses.

Attachments

• DSCN5089 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN5089 - Copy.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 16
  • lazer z.jpg
    lazer z.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 10
  • exmark rotary broom.png
    exmark rotary broom.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 8
  • NEW EXMARK COMMERCIAL 30.jpg
    NEW EXMARK COMMERCIAL 30.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN5082 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN5082 - Copy.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 7
  • exmark.jpg
    exmark.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6
  • exmark vantage.jpg
    exmark vantage.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 7
  • navigator.jpg
    navigator.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 5

berniebenz

Threads
Weeds and unwanted grasses are easy to control when young, several inches tall max. in lawns or fields. I spot spray, 24D for weeds and Roundup for grasses, using a comfortable and efficient diaphragm type Solo back pack sprayer with a long wand.
For taller growth mow first. Roundup is 4X the cost of 24D. so spray accordingly. Just keep on top of it.

Attachments

• echo - Copy.jpg
    echo - Copy.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 14
  • My B&D Electric Hedge Trimmer.jpg
    My B&D Electric Hedge Trimmer.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 12
  • hedge trimmer 2.jpg
    hedge trimmer 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 10

44carbine

Threads
I would kill all the weeds and start over. I just redid my yard after hogs destroyed it during the winter. I applied roundup and killed everything. Took the tractor and disk and leveled out the yard and reseeded with Bermuda grass. Been watering everyday and its just starting to come up.

wesk

Forum Newbie
Threads
If weeds make up most of your yard it might be better to just kill everything with glyphosate and start a new yard. Weeds will get choked out by thick grass in an established yard. Good Luck.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
dandelions are edible ..use in salads etc....also you can make tea from it....just make sure its real dandelion..false dandelion or "cats ear" will have hairs on the leaves

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
I moved your thread to the Lawn Care & Landscaping Forum. :smile:

mullins87

Threads
How do you start to conquer weeds when weeds are all you have? If I were to spray weed killer on my lawn, I'd not have anything to mow. Between the dandelion, crab grass, dogbane, violets and other weeds that make up my lawn, I hav very little grass. But it has to be mowed too I guess.:smile:

Well, if you don't want to kill the whole yard, or kill and reseed in sections, then the only thing I can think of is to overseed with the type of grasses you want. Weeds don't like to be cut short, so keep your lawn mowed. Once the grasses get a foothold, they will eventually choke the weeds out.

gtbobcat

Threads
dandelions are edible ..use in salads etc....also you can make tea from it....

I suppose thats where the vinegar came in..lol...I mixed my pickling vinegar with pickling salt and a drop of soap.per liter (quart)..only works on young weeds and needs re-aplications.. sry cant be of much help...and if anyone is thinking of trying vinegar...I think over 10% (acetic acid) needs eye protection after 15% needs a hazmat suit.