ZD326 - RCK60P-331Z Deck Anti Scalp Casters

Bugeater

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on keeping the caster part of these front anti scalp rollers spinning freely? They have a grease fitting and call for #2 multi-purpose grease. That tends to attract dirt and eventually it will no longer caster and it will gouge the turf. I haven't had much luck re-greasing to free them up, they have to be taken apart and the dirt cleaned out. I have tried WD-40 instead of grease, not much better. I have tried dry graphite spray, a little better, but still only good for a few hours of mowing before they lock up again. To be clear the roller it self is not the problem. It is the caster portion that will lock up and not rotate as you turn. I think the manual calls it the front anti scalp roller pivot boss. Circled in blue in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1182a.jpg
    IMG_1182a.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 7

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those zerks need to be greased regularly with #2 multi purpose grease, not just once or twice a season. Like about once a month. Pump in enough grease to make sure you see grease freely coming out both the top and bottom, then wipe off the excess . This with keep the dirt out of the bushings.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take apart the yoke and put an oring on the bottom and under the top washer on the top of the shaft. This helps keep the dirt out. Give them a couple shots of grease with each mowing. If the bushings are worn replace them before they wear into the yoke shaft.

59cummins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a ZD1211 basically the same as yours. Never had a caster on any mower Kubota/Scag get stuck as you describe. I would like to remind you that the casters should not be supporting the full weight of the deck. On a hard level surface they should be approximately 1/2 inch off the surface.
They are anti-scalp rollers.
90cummins

lugbolt

Threads
I have a ZD1211 basically the same as yours. Never had a caster on any mower Kubota/Scag get stuck as you describe. I would like to remind you that the casters should not be supporting the full weight of the deck. On a hard level surface they should be approximately 1/2 inch off the surface.
They are anti-scalp rollers.
90cummins
This is correct. There is "usually" a sticker on the top of the deck that advises how to properly adjust the anti-scalp rollers.