Export thread

ZD326 discharge problems

B

bill-d-c

I've got a Kubota ZD326 (26HP diesel, 60" cut) that when I get into a little tall stemmed grass with it (especially if it's a little damp, like early in the morning) the mower bogs down and almost nothing comes out of the discharge opening. It basically turns into a mulching mower (does not have mulching blades or mulching kit on it) and will even stall out if I don't stop it every few feet and let it catch up. I'm not cutting grass that is very tall and the deck is set a 3". My 26HP Gravely has no trouble getting through it. Now, if I'm cutting very dry, short grass it flys through it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, it has a brand new set of blades on it and the engine seems to be running fine. Thanks.

jekjr

jekjr

We ran at 326 for 800 hours. I still see numerous commercial guys with them but I never could get it to cut grass like many mowers. One problem you probably have is you need to throughly scrape the build up out from under your deck. That might help a little to get better air flow.

We cut extremely large amounts of Bahia Grass and I never could figure out how to get a Kubota to cut it.

B

bill-d-c

When I installed the new blades, I cleaned underneath the deck. I was thinking that it must be a bad design on the deck, or maybe a slower blade speed that keeps the mower from discharging that type of grass. Like I stated, my Gravely walks through it fine. That's disappointing, I really like that Kubota mower...but if it won't cut tall stem grass it will have to go.

I

ILENGINE

Something to consider is the amount of blade lift. Had a customer that runs Scag commercially and normally ran high lift blades, but I got a hold of extra high lift once, and he tried them, and said that the deck would clog about every 10 feet if the grass was damp. It seemed that the extra lift increased the force of the grass enough that it would stick it to the bottom of the deck and would come out in clumps.

B

bill-d-c

I went to my local Kubota dealer to buy the new blades. He told me that the "flatter" blades were a mulching blade and sold me a blade that probable has about a 1" upward lift opposite the cutting edge. These matched the blades that were on before. So what I might need are blades with less lift? Like maybe 1/2" or so? Are blades like that a standard dealer offered blade you think?

I

ILENGINE

Looks like 1-1/8 is the standard air lift height for your mower. I did find a set of Gator Mulcher blades with 3/4 lift but I am not a fan of the mulching type blades.

B

bill-d-c

I appreciate the info. Looks like my only option is to sell it and move on to something else. Too bad, that thing is built like a tank...just doesn't cut tall grass worth a hoot.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I don't own a Kubota, however, your discharge opening may have a restriction you could open up to allow the clumps to flow more easily. Shoot several close up and a couple of pictures of your chute openings and post them here. Maybe someone else has made some modifications or some of us may see the problem. Many mowers require specific modifications in order to improve an already great mower.

Good luck Sir,

Max

jekjr

jekjr

When I installed the new blades, I cleaned underneath the deck. I was thinking that it must be a bad design on the deck, or maybe a slower blade speed that keeps the mower from discharging that type of grass. Like I stated, my Gravely walks through it fine. That's disappointing, I really like that Kubota mower...but if it won't cut tall stem grass it will have to go.

I traded my 326 in with 800 hours on it. Bought a Tiger Cat Scag and never looked back. I now have three Tiger Cat Scags. Personally if Kubota told me that they would give me a mower free if I could not sell it and buy something else I would thank them and let them keep it. I never found anything that will out cut the Tiger Cat in Bahia Grass. If I found it and I could buy one locally I would be running them.

In my personal opinion Kubota desperately needs to do some serious deck design changes some way.

I still have a ZG 222 Kubota. It is worse than the 326 when it comes to Bahia Grass. I have a blower and bagger on it and use it specifically to get up leaves. It is basically useless to me commercially this time of year trying to cut grass because seldom do we find a yard in our area that does not have some Bahia in it and the Kubota absolutely will not cut it in one pass clean. The Tiger Cat with fresh sharp blades will cut Bahia grass that has not been cut in three weeks in one pass.

The Velocity Deck on the Scag is incredible.

B

bill-d-c

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I've got the mower for sale on 2 different sites, but it's getting late in the year and people aren't looking for mowers right now. Will probably sit on it until spring, then re-list it. Prior to buying this mower, I had narrowed it down to a gas powered Scag, or a diesel Kubota. When the Kubota sells, I'm more than likely going to end up with a Scag. Which one, I don't know. I mow around 15-18 acres and I use my mowers like brush hogs so I'll need something hearty. The Gravely I have has done well but it's starting to fall apart (bought it new in 2006, 26HP water cooled Kaw. with 60" deck).

jekjr

jekjr

I know a guy that bought a Kubota. I think it is the 700 series but not sure which one. He finally took a Matabo and cut some of the baffle off in the front of the blades to get his to cut bahia grass. he said that made it better but it still won't cut with the Scags.

B

bill-d-c

Bought a set of mulching blades for it. Ran them without the mulching kit installed. They have a 1/2" lift (stock blades are 1 1/8" lift). Thought maybe these might help with the discharge problem, but no dice. I'm out of ideas. I have come to the conclusion it is just a flaw in the deck design. The discharge velocity just isn't what it should be and I doubt there's much I can do about it. Lesson learned I guess.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Bill,

What is your dealer telling you about the deck and the quality of cut?

Max

jekjr

jekjr

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I've got the mower for sale on 2 different sites, but it's getting late in the year and people aren't looking for mowers right now. Will probably sit on it until spring, then re-list it. Prior to buying this mower, I had narrowed it down to a gas powered Scag, or a diesel Kubota. When the Kubota sells, I'm more than likely going to end up with a Scag. Which one, I don't know. I mow around 15-18 acres and I use my mowers like brush hogs so I'll need something hearty. The Gravely I have has done well but it's starting to fall apart (bought it new in 2006, 26HP water cooled Kaw. with 60" deck).

Everybody has an opinion on mowers. Personally for me anyway anything above a Tiger Cat is overkill. We run 52" decks because they will go into so may tight holes and are so nimble. We cut over 90 properties every two weeks. The largest if around 14 or so acres and the others range from 4 to 5 acres down to a half acre or even less. I personally have found nothing that comes close to matching the cut and durability of these mowers. I have had some electrical problems with them from time to time and have had to replace some other little odds and ends on them but if they will last for me and my crew they will probably last for anybody.

B

bill-d-c

Bill,

What is your dealer telling you about the deck and the quality of cut?

Max

The dealer says he's never heard of anyone having the problems I'm having. He's the one that recommended the 1/2" rise blades, he also told me to throttle down the engine while in tall, wet or long stemmed grass. I talked to a Scag dealer today, and he said the problems I'm having are commonplace with the Kubota mowers. When I asked about trading it in, he said he really didn't want it, said their too difficult to get rid of. He said he'd take the Gravely in on trade, but really didn't want the Kubota. He said he couldn't give much for it.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Sorry to hear he isn't helping with the problem. Was he the selling dealer? If so, he should be able to fix it and then demonstrate he has it mowing to your satisfaction.

B

bill-d-c

Yes, he was the selling dealer. Swears he's never heard of such a problem. I believe the Scag Turf Tiger might be what I'm going to go with. 31HP Kawasaki EFI liquid cooled engine, 61" deck. I've got someone looking at the Kubota tomorrow, he sounds serious, so here's hoping it goes down the road.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Hope so Bill. Good luck.

B

bill-d-c

Hope so Bill. Good luck.

Thank you, appreciate that!

jekjr

jekjr

Hope so Bill. Good luck.

Hope you get rid of it.

It is a shame to pay that much money for a mower that won't cut grass. I feel you pain. The one I traded in with 800 hours sold at the dealer used for more than the Tiger Cat I bought. The guy that bought it was happy and I was too. I would not trade my tiger cats with the hours on them even for a new Kubota. Regardless of what the dealer tells you THE KUBOTA MOWERS WILL NOT CUT BAHIA GRASS.

B

bill-d-c

Hope you get rid of it.

It is a shame to pay that much money for a mower that won't cut grass. I feel you pain. The one I traded in with 800 hours sold at the dealer used for more than the Tiger Cat I bought. The guy that bought it was happy and I was too. I would not trade my tiger cats with the hours on them even for a new Kubota. Regardless of what the dealer tells you THE KUBOTA MOWERS WILL NOT CUT BAHIA GRASS.

We have a fair amount of a long stem grass, I call it foxtail grass. It sounds like it might be similar to your Bahia grass. Anyway, that Kubota didn't like it, didn't like thick grass, or wet grass. Really disappointing. I thought with the diesel engine and the Kubota name it would fly through anything. I'm hoping the Scag won't be a disappointment as well. I've heard nothing but good about the Scag.

jekjr

jekjr

We have a fair amount of a long stem grass, I call it foxtail grass. It sounds like it might be similar to your Bahia grass. Anyway, that Kubota didn't like it, didn't like thick grass, or wet grass. Really disappointing. I thought with the diesel engine and the Kubota name it would fly through anything. I'm hoping the Scag won't be a disappointment as well. I've heard nothing but good about the Scag.

I live about 70 miles north of Pensacola Fl. It has rained more days than not since May here where we live. Many times the temperature is in the 80 degree range at night. We cut approximately 90 properties every two weeks. From 14 acres or so down. Several in the 4 and 5 acre range. Often times we have been rained out to the point that we had to let some go three weeks simply because we could not get in them. We run two Tiger Cats and have a third for a back up and at times on larger properties we run the third. We have literally numerous times cut Bahia grass that you could have let lay till the next day and then raked and rolled it. Then in two weeks come back and cut that same property again. So that means that there is still much of the stuff left that was cut last time as well as the tall Bahia that is fresh.

With sharp blades on them they will cut it in one pass. They won't do it wide open but they will cut it slick.

I personally have run three different Turf Tigers with the 61 inch decks also as demonstrators at different times. IN my opinion and the opinion of my operators the Tiger Cat with the 52" deck will out cut them all in tall Bahia grass. That includes the Turf Tigers with the 61" decks and the bigger motors.

All three of mine have the Kawasaki motors on them and for the largest part they have done an incredible job. My oldest is three years old and has over 1500 hours on it. The newest is a ;little over a year old and has over 600 hours on it.

If we saw a better mower sold locally we would be running them. We have not found one. I ran Kubota mowers and traded a ZD 326 in for my second Tiger Cat. I was running it with the First one I had bought and was blown away at the difference.

B

bill-d-c

Well, the Kubota is gone. I'm now the proud owner of a Scag Turf Tiger with the 31HP liquid cooled EFI Kawasaki and the 61" deck. If this mower fails to cut tall stem grass, wet grass or grass that's a little thick, then I'm at a loss as to what mower to try next. The dealer said if this Scag won't cut it, then bring it back for a full re-fund. I'll soon find out, it comes in this Friday!!

jekjr

jekjr

Well, the Kubota is gone. I'm now the proud owner of a Scag Turf Tiger with the 31HP liquid cooled EFI Kawasaki and the 61" deck. If this mower fails to cut tall stem grass, wet grass or grass that's a little thick, then I'm at a loss as to what mower to try next. The dealer said if this Scag won't cut it, then bring it back for a full re-fund. I'll soon find out, it comes in this Friday!!

Check out the post I just uploaded of some Bahia Grass that was cut 14 days ago. We cut it partially in the rain today. If a mower will cut that it will cut about anything. It was a mess. We cut it in one pass clean. 3" high. A Kubota would not touch it.

B

bill-d-c

Check out the post I just uploaded of some Bahia Grass that was cut 14 days ago. We cut it partially in the rain today. If a mower will cut that it will cut about anything. It was a mess. We cut it in one pass clean. 3" high. A Kubota would not touch it.

How tall was it when you cut it? It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but your Bahia grass looks very similar to our Kansas long stem foxtail grass...the stuff that Kubota hated. I'm looking forward to trying out that Turf Tiger on it, I mow 20 acres so having a mower that will cut the stuff will save me a lot of time.

jekjr

jekjr

How tall was it when you cut it? It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but your Bahia grass looks very similar to our Kansas long stem foxtail grass...the stuff that Kubota hated. I'm looking forward to trying out that Turf Tiger on it, I mow 20 acres so having a mower that will cut the stuff will save me a lot of time.

It was taller than the deck by a good bit. I honestly did not measure it. I was going to take some good pictures of it but a few minutes into the 4 acres the rain started. Once the main cloud passed we just ran as hard as we could to get finished. It was a mess. The ZD326 Kubota I had would not come close to cutting that in one pass. We run into it on a daily basis down here.

B

bill-d-c

Well things didn't go very well for the Scags first time out. Less than 2 hours of run time and it had pegged the water temp gauge and lost all oil pressure. Goes back to the dealer first of next week. I swear when it comes to mowers if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I know this is a ridiculous question, however, here it is. Were all the fluid levels checked before starting the engine and putting the hydros into motion?

B

bill-d-c

I'm going to have to say no. I bought it brand new from a local dealer. I just assumed before letting it out the door that they would make sure it had oil, hyd oil, and anti-freeze in it. Shoot, they even ran it out of the shop and onto my trailer while I was doing the paperwork. You buy a brand new truck and pick it up at the dealer, you would have to assume it has oil, AF, etc. I'm not sure how this will all shake out.

mhavanti

mhavanti

One would assume, however, first thing they're going to tell you is that it is your responsibility to check all fluids before operating the machinery.

Let's hope they take the responsibility considering all you've gone thru with Japanese mowers and now this new one.

Good luck Bill.

Maxc

jekjr

jekjr

I'm going to have to say no. I bought it brand new from a local dealer. I just assumed before letting it out the door that they would make sure it had oil, hyd oil, and anti-freeze in it. Shoot, they even ran it out of the shop and onto my trailer while I was doing the paperwork. You buy a brand new truck and pick it up at the dealer, you would have to assume it has oil, AF, etc. I'm not sure how this will all shake out.

I don't know about your dealer, but I feel like they will fix it totally. I have never head of a new one having those issues. I can't even imagine a dealer putting a new mower in service without checking the fluids in it. There had to be something left loose on it from the factory i would think that allowed something to leak out.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Certainly hope so. So many dealers out here today that don't seem to care of the customer returns or not. Lets hope his isn't one of those.

Max

jekjr

jekjr

I know that this is an old post but please update us on your results.

Thanks