Z425-54c Blades slow to engage.

hollydolly

Threads
Bought new in 2010 Zero turn, Z425-54c
Has always cut great, until now. All the sudden blades are slow to engage, cutting grass above 3 inches blades rpm slows down while motor rpm stays the same. I have cut 24-inch Johnson grass in the past with no problems.
In 13 years, this has never happened before. Mower has been very well taken care of.
I don't think belt is slipping as it does not squeak and no smell of belt burning.
Could it be the PTO clutch, if so, how do I check it?
Thank you for any help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that belt is 13 years old it is well past replacement time
Then there is spindle bearings idler bearings , wear in the deck mounts and blade condition

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cutting 2 foot tall field grass is rather tough on the machine. Especially compared to say a weekly mowed manicured lawn. If you need to mow hip high grass then get a hay bailer or brush hog and tractor.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
First double check you don't have a dead cylinder. Pull off one plug wire and start engine then do the other cylinder and see if engine runs the same on each cylinder. What you describe is low power from a dead cylinder.
If the clutch is slipping it will burn up fairly quickly.
Take the deck off and remove belt. If the belt is slipping it will do it on the clutch pulley. Look for burned spots in the belt. Check all spindles and idlers on the deck.

hollydolly

Threads
First double check you don't have a dead cylinder. Pull off one plug wire and start engine then do the other cylinder and see if engine runs the same on each cylinder. What you describe is low power from a dead cylinder.
If the clutch is slipping it will burn up fairly quickly.
Take the deck off and remove belt. If the belt is slipping it will do it on the clutch pulley. Look for burned spots in the belt. Check all spindles and idlers on the deck.

I pulled plug wires, first one and it started, put back on and pulled the other one and it started.
I loosened the dipstick, removed plug wires cranked and almost blew the dipstick out. When running oil does not shoot out, just leaks at the gasket. With oil full I can mow 5 acres and oil will be between the 2 holes on dipstick.

I ordered a crankcase gasket last week as oil was leaking at left side of oil filter at the gasket. When I pulled both plug wires and cranked the motor, oil sprayed out of the gasket about 2 feet on my driveway.

Now I have head gaskets and crank gasket to replace.
Might buy a new motor. 430 hours on motor in 13 years.
Is this high hours for this motor?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's not the hours. More like the maintenance and how it was used. One can trash a mower in short order if neglected.

hollydolly

Threads
It's not the hours. More like the maintenance and how it was used. One can trash a mower in short order if neglected.

Every Fall I take shroud, cage surround, mower deck off. Clean entire motor, clean under deck, grease all fittings, change oil, filter, air filter, gas filter. The mower still looks almost new, 13 years.

hollydolly

Threads
Rebuilt the carburetor. It runs like new, cuts great, blades don' slow down, more power. This Fall, will take motor off and replace crankcase gasket, shaft oil seal, new oil pump, head gaskets.