Repairs Z225 Starting/ solenoid / starter issue??

tj08

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere z225

Hello lawn mower forum folks!!

I have a 2007 z225 john deere, I kept the battery on a trickle charger all winter long.
I keep the oil, air filter, gas filter all happy and clean.

This A.M. I try and start my trusty john deere and it acts as if the battery has died on me.
> The battery was at 80%
>I re-charge and the battery is holding a charge just fine.
Now I try and turn it over again and i hear a steady "buzzzzz" from the solenoid. it wil buzz for as long as you have the key turned to the start position..
Weird because this issue is brand new and I have never had any hesitation in starting or performance in three summers with my JD

>I have checked and re-checked all safety mechanisms.
>I am POSITIVE that I have a good battery.

whats next?
I do have all the tools to re-build the whole thing and a basic-moderate mechanical ability, electrical issuea are just a little out side of my wheel house.

Thanks a lot folks! your feed back is much appreciated!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can take your battery to any auto parts store & have them load test battery for free. Hands on check everything electrical, relays, switches, all connections including grounds making sure everything is tight and secure. You can also purchase an inexpensive multimeter tool instructions included & go troubleshooting and isolate problem.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/5b/5bef7eb2-6221-4934-98cd-5fcaaf2ac9eb.pdf see page 40

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm willing to bet it is one of three things in this order. Bad ground on the battery or solenoid. Bad battery. Bad solenoid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As per Rivets post.
Get some heavy duty jumper leads (Car type ) and some light hook up wire to make another pair.

Before I sart a few things you need to know.
There are two different types of solenoids.
One type trips regardless of voltage
The other will only trip when it sees a full 12 V.
And both of these come in 3 Pole & 4 Pole.

Three pole have two heavy wires , Power in / power out and one light wire , trigger. this type earth through the body of the solenoid and are highly prone to corrosion crating a bad earth.
Four ploe solenoids have 4 wires, two heavy as before and two light the 4th being the earth as these units are fully insulated.

Most mowers also run a light wire usually with an inline fuse from the heavy + wire from the battery to the ignition switch to save on wire. Ignore this wire for now
The one or two thin wires at the bottom go through all of the safety switches so putting meters on them can give really funny readings so I like to do a systemic series of by passes
The order is not important, I just ike to do it this way.
And remember you may have several individual problems

1) Heavy jump from - on battery to a good earth on the engine. no difference main earth might be good. difference main earth is bad.
2) with the other wire in place run a heavy lead from battery + to input terminal on solenoid. No difference power feed is good, difference power feed has bad connection
3) swap this wire from solenoid output terminal to starter terminal, no difference starter wire s good.
4) remove all heavy jumpers and run a light wire from the battery - & + to the solenoid. difference = a switch problem / no difference = solenoid problem