YTH 1542 spindles

upnorthdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
new to the forum and just bought a used yth1542. It was a one owner and well taken care of. My question is with the spindle bearings. Is there a grease zerk for these? If not do I just wait until the bearings fail to replace or replace now while all the other parts of the spindle are still in good condition? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dave

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,
new to the forum and just bought a used yth1542. It was a one owner and well taken care of. My question is with the spindle bearings. Is there a grease zerk for these? If not do I just wait until the bearings fail to replace or replace now while all the other parts of the spindle are still in good condition? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dave
What year is that Husqvarna(their website indicates 2006-2010). Bottom line, my research last fall educated me to the fact that many lawn tractors and ZTR mowers that have grease zerks on the spindles are nothing more than a "placebo effect" to appease that manufacturer's customers that insisted on the spindles having them so they can "maintain the bearings". I had several dealers/mechanics explain to me that "most" of those mowers actually had "sealed bearings" inside the spindle assemblies and that the grease just filled up the spindle housing around the bearings and the grease "never touched the bearings". Some users/owners believe this and some don't. My advice to you is "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it"!!! Just try to be aware if you feel any "obvious/excessive" vibration of the mower when you engage the blades that could be indicative of the bearings going bad and perform the other recommended maintenance religiously. You should be fine if you do that.

upnorthdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
dj,
Thanks for the info... actually the mower is about 14 years old....(I might not have the exact model# correct) but I know its a 15hp Kolher and 42" cut. Thanks for the advise, I will just keep my eye on things.... I'm changing the oil and filter today
Thanks Dave