Export thread

yardman riding mower problem

M

mtd46

I have a yardman select series my friend gave me before he died,he bought it new and used it maybe 5 times or so.
you can crawl faster than this thing goes,motor is fine and will idel and run wide open just fine,it just will not move fast at all,anyone have this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Boobala

Boobala

OK ..it's an MTD YardMan ... Now , how about some model & type information..???

OR...http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10584

M

mtd46

OK ..it's an MTD YardMan ... Now , how about some model & type information..???

OR...http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10584

its a yardman select series modle 13a0785t055 serial number 1c071b30384

S

SeniorCitizen

The infamous variable speed pulley is stuck and not responding to the changes in spring tension that is placed on it with the speed selector.

NorthBama

NorthBama

The infamous variable speed pulley is stuck and not responding to the changes in spring tension that is placed on it with the speed selector.

I agree with Senior

B

bertsmobile1

Have a good look under the mower there should be a belt from the engine ans another belt from the rear axel and both of these should end up on a single pulley.
The top & bottom flanges of that pulley are fixed but the middle one can slide up & down.
This changes the circumfrences of both pulleys one gets bigger so that belt goes slower & the other gets smaller so that belt moves faster..
If the sliding member can not move freely up & down the mower speeds can not change.
All of this is controlled by a whopping big spring.

There are a few variations on the theme depending upon how the belt tension is maintained.
some have discreet tensioning pulleys while others the double pulley itself is on a pivoting arm.
So get it up in the air and have a look.
Usually you have to remove the battery & battery tray to get access to the rear pulleys.

This system is very sensative to belts and the belts used are usually deeper than standard mower belts and they must be wrapped.

NorthBama

NorthBama

Inkedyardman trans_LI.jpg

Boobala

Boobala

Just now ...saw on C/L ... This is located in Central Fl........7:30 A.M. / 3/15/2017

00i0i_hItYvAwMAof_1200x900.jpg..01313_eovO10FcH6G_1200x900.jpg

...https://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/6044195146.html

I believe this is what is thought to be your problem (item with big silver pulley &
triangular bearing cup on bottom) this item (new) usually ..$145.00 --$245.00
that is posted by NorthBama ...

B

bertsmobile1

Also in the diagram the two clutch pulleys ( 63) can give you grief and cause loss of drive if they do not pull the belt tight enough.

Roger B

Roger B

Have a good look under the mower there should be a belt from the engine ans another belt from the rear axel and both of these should end up on a single pulley.
The top & bottom flanges of that pulley are fixed but the middle one can slide up & down.
This changes the circumfrences of both pulleys one gets bigger so that belt goes slower & the other gets smaller so that belt moves faster..
If the sliding member can not move freely up & down the mower speeds can not change.
All of this is controlled by a whopping big spring.

There are a few variations on the theme depending upon how the belt tension is maintained.
some have discreet tensioning pulleys while others the double pulley itself is on a pivoting arm.
So get it up in the air and have a look.
Usually you have to remove the battery & battery tray to get access to the rear pulleys.

This system is very sensative to belts and the belts used are usually deeper than standard mower belts and they must be wrapped.

Berts-Man - You're the bestest!!!

I do have a question though... What do you mean when you say that the belts "must be wrapped"? Heck, I'm "wrapped", just not very tightly!!!

Rog B

Boobala

Boobala

Berts-Man - You're the bestest!!!

I do have a question though... What do you mean when you say that the belts "must be wrapped"? Heck, I'm "wrapped", just not very tightly!!!

Rog B

Hey Rog, I think Bert is referring to a type of belt that has a final outer layer of Kevlar or "glass -cloth"
to provide additional strength and wear .......... ( sorta like better quality & money ) and yes we ALL know you have a "loose coil" somewhere !!! ( LOL )

Roger B

Roger B

Hey Rog, we ALL know you have a "loose coil" somewhere !!! ( LOL )

Loose coil my A-$-$! . . . H#ll, everything I got is loose!

Rog

NorthBama

NorthBama

Loose coil my A-$-$! . . . H#ll, everything I got is loose!

Rog

you are still going strong hang in there

Roger B

Roger B

you are still going strong hang in there

Strong!?!?! Dang, I'd be lucky to be able to beat my way out of a wet paper bag!!

As mother always said, "It's hell getting old!"

Roger B

Boobala

Boobala

Damn Rog,
You soundin like bein ready to be wrapped in THEE FLAG and shot out tube # 1 ..
Ain't gonna happen long as I'm still around to put a fire under your "set-down"
and if you're looking for SYMPATHY ..... it's in the dictionary .. tween SHEET and Syphilis !!

You best quit blathering bout us bein old... I'll have a talk with the Lady of Your house and she WILL
read YOU the rule book AND riot act !!!! ......YOU got a ways to go yet Goomba !!! ...:cool2:..:laughing:

NorthBama

NorthBama

Damn Rog,
You soundin like bein ready to be wrapped in THEE FLAG and shot out tube # 1 ..
Ain't gonna happen long as I'm still around to put a fire under your "set-down"
and if you're looking for SYMPATHY ..... it's in the dictionary .. tween SHEET and Syphilis !!

You best quit blathering bout us bein old... I'll have a talk with the Lady of Your house and she WILL
read YOU the rule book AND riot act !!!! ......YOU got a ways to go yet Goomba !!! ...:cool2:..:laughing:

right on Boo well spoken

BlazNT

BlazNT

All I can say about this is read my signature.

B

bertsmobile1

Hey Rog, I think Bert is referring to a type of belt that has a final outer layer of Kevlar or "glass -cloth"
to provide additional strength and wear .......... ( sorta like better quality & money ) and yes we ALL know you have a "loose coil" somewhere !!! ( LOL )

The outer cover is usually either pollyester or cotton.
Id does nothing for the strength of the belt.
Plain belts like on your cars fan are not wrapped and just like your tyres get sticky when they get hot.
A hot sticky belt will not slip when you take the tension off it which is why mower belts are wrapped in most instances.
ZTR belts do not need to be wrapped because there is no slipping clutch pulley.

Roger B

Roger B

The outer cover is usually either pollyester or cotton.
Id does nothing for the strength of the belt.
Plain belts like on your cars fan are not wrapped and just like your tyres get sticky when they get hot.
A hot sticky belt will not slip when you take the tension off it which is why mower belts are wrapped in most instances.
ZTR belts do not need to be wrapped because there is no slipping clutch pulley.

Berts Man - I Knew I could count on you to have an accurate and detailed explanation.. At least you aren't all concerned that I'm sitting around lamenting and considering cashing in my chips.. That ain't gonna happen! . . . . I just figure it's good for my mental attitude to bitch about what bugs me, know what I mean?
I can't say that I've found a lot of benefits to growing older, other than it beats the crap out of the alternative, oh - and the senior discounts you can get. I like a discount as well as the next guy...

Rog